17.8 - Ali Baba in a Suit

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

17.8 - Ali Baba in a Suit

Postby miri on Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:56 pm

Discuss
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 17.8 - Ali Baba in a Suit

Postby grubsneerg on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:56 pm

How sweet was it when the editors changed Chad & Stephanie's status from "dating" to "engaged," complete with a little sound effect and twinkle, or so it seemed? Of course, I half expected her to say "no" based on the clips they showed right before the question was popped—all the yelling and discord—LOL! I'm not a fan of public proposals. It always seems to me that the proposer isn't too sure what the proposee will say, so they do it in public hoping that the proposee would rather say "yes" than live with the embarrassment of saying "no."
grubsneerg
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby rockhpi on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:13 am

NOOOOO poor Mallory and Gary. It's way too early to be without anyone to root for! I'd be OK with the doctors winning, or Jill & Thomas (though Thomas dances back and forth across the douche line). But there are now officially no teams left that I really want to see win. And what a season it's been! Scaling down the Oman grand canyon was amazing. I was going to comment on the stereotypical magic lamp and Ali Baba references, but hey, they also learned how people get their water there and had an opportunity to experience a local wedding. But now we have a fantastic trip and no one I'm interested to take it with. It'll be another finale where I'm not rooting for anyone, I'll be rooting against two teams I don't want to see win. So frustrating.

And if Vicki doesn't dump Nick after all this is over, I'll lose as much respect for her as I've already lost for him.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Tea-time on Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:10 pm

I wasn't expecting the penalty for Jill&Thomas, because unlike last week Phil didn't state that following a cab wasn't allowed. I wonder if that's a new rule. And Chad&Stephanie really lucked out on getting a flight that was only 10 minutes later than the middle group of teams - and it arrived early to boot.

Nick can go away any time - he so consistently reacts like a jerk that I don't think it can be blamed on race fatigue. Vicky has a much better attitude - too bad she and Jill can't switch partners and let the men snipe at each other!
Tea-time
road blocked

Postby evening on Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:52 pm

I really want the doctors to win. Am so glad the comment about the diabetes at the beginning of the leg wasnt some sort of foreshadowing....

Mallory and Gary were fun to watch, but I never mind it when a praying team/individual leaves - even if Mallory really wasnt nearly as obnoxious about it as past racers.

Wonder why someone equates tattoos/piercings with punk rock? Or is that Brooke just being nerdy? - I think it was her who called them punk rockers. Nick and Vicky dont look like punk rockers to me - more metal heads (as long as theyre not Deadheads!). I agree - Nick is a dick and needs to go. Save Vicky! ("Im soaked" "who cares?" what an ass)

Oman looks really cool! Never got the Dubai fever some of my travel buddies have, but I would definitely go to Oman, if it was a doable stopever.
evening
road blocked

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:01 pm

Didn't they institute the can't pay a cabbie to guide you a few seasons back?

And has there been another season with as many penalties as this one?

Loved how Chad & Stephanie slept in! That is my biggest fear!
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby evening on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:00 pm

Mine too! I have a midnight flight in March - Im afraid Im going to fall asleep at the gate and not get on the plane...

Im just amazed how they made up for lost time - and my favorite doctors managed to get so lost!
evening
road blocked

Postby kelda_shelton on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:21 am

Nick is a dick and a dumb one at that .. Ali Baba in a suit? C'mon!!

Sad to see Gary and Mallory go.
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby cooper on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:13 pm

That was an excellent episode with some (slight) airport drama, great locations, great locals, and great tasks. VERY disappointed to lose Gary and Mallory - though if they had stayed in it would have been at the cost of Nat and Kat so I'm glad in a way it panned out that way. Very surprised by how Chad and Stephanie and Jill and "boyfriend" (forget his name) went from bottom of the pack to the top 2. Where the heck did Nat and Kat and Claire and Brooke go after getting their clue at the mountain, to drop them back so much behind the others. I don't actually mind Nick and Vicky too much - I like Vicky a great deal, so can tolerate Nick! Am a bit surprised they have made it this far though!!! Surely they will be next to go??

And what the flip is a double U-Turn???!???
cooper
bunched

Postby Kanuck on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am

evening wrote:I really want the doctors to win. Am so glad the comment about the diabetes at the beginning of the leg wasnt some sort of foreshadowing....

Me too. I was worried that it was foreshadowing that she'd have a hypoglycemic episode after driving for 6hrs in the desert heat, or something. Glad that wasn't the case, as I want them to stick around!
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby Peter on Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:07 am

I really liked this episode as well.

Going into the middle east is always lovely, and they got in some great challenges too. The shots from the mountain, over-looking the canyon, made my toes curl. Like, it really *looked* like they were 500 feet up, you know? Ye-ouch.

And the three behind teams must've gotten really, really lost. Going by sunset, and the time of night -- the market was pretty much closed by the time Gary and Mallory ran through there, and it looked like they were checking in, in the middle of the night.

And what a day Chad and Stephenie had. They slept in, missed the Pit Start by two hours, Chad proposed, and they ended up coming in first! I really *want* to like Chad, like, in his nice-moments, he seems like a pretty nice guy (and also pretty darn fine). The fact that Stephanie will react, and snap back at him, I think that's a good thing (unlike Vicki, who never really reacts to Nick saying some pretty vicious things about her). I'm sure there would be a lot of moments where Chad's perfectly reasonable and patient, the editing team just doesn't show them for drama's sake.

They really won me over this ep when they reached the Pit Stop, and reacted to Phil telling them they were first. The reaction was hilarious, the look on Chad's face was brilliant :).

The HSN girls' reaction to coming in fourth was also pretty awesome. I think they'd resigned themselves to coming in last, and it was a shock when they survived. They had a good leg too. What I like about them is that they're having *fun*, and it's obvious they're enjoying the heck out of the experience, which is a great thing.

Poor Gary and Mallory. Yeah she was always super-duper-excited, but I liked them. I'm gonna miss them.

I'm still ambivalent on Jill/Thomas.

Nick and Vicki though, no, I want them gone. On their good days they seem nice, but Nick loses his cool (which itself can be understandable), and keeps saying such awful things about Vicki, and she's right there! It makes for uncomfortable viewing, but if they end up winning this thing?

With Gary and Mallory out, that means I'm cheering for the Doctors, and the HSN girls. *Maybe* Chad and Stephanie, only if Chad can keep his patience for the rest of the race.

Next's week preview looks scary. What the hey is a double u-turn?
Peter
bunched

Postby rockhpi on Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:29 am

And the three behind teams must've gotten really, really lost.

According to Gary & Mallory's RealityTVNews.com interview, they really were 9 hours driving to the other side of the mountain. They went so far they filled up their car twice. And she says Nat & Kat had the same map.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Rachel RSL on Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:58 pm

Maybe I missed it but I don't recall Nick saying anything particularly vicious to or about Vicky. He said they made a 3rd grader mistake and he muttered that she was a moron. Seriously, if calling your significant other a moron in a moment of frustration is something that makes you a horrible person, then I'm going straight to hell because lord knows I've called people things much worse than "moron".
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby Peter on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:13 am

I know he got really upset and threatened to quit when she gave directions to the HSN girls, and then he called her a "dumb-ass" later on in the episode (which is fine, but calling your wife that on international television? Just not cool). Little strikes just keep adding up against him. I can't bring myself to like them anymore.
Peter
bunched

Postby AndreaInNC on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:58 am

From what I could gather from the previews a double U-turn is where 2 teams get U-turned instead of the normal 1. But - I could be wrong.
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Return to Past Seasons