Amazing Race on DVD

General discussions about TAR - media, DVDs, questions.

Re: Amazing Race on DVD

Postby Peter on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:06 am

rockhpi wrote:I like it when they shake things up a bit but that was just cruel.

Agreed, but yeah, it felt a little mean-spirited.

I'm looking forward to the next DVD releases. I remember 16 was Dan and Jordan (and the first race featuring the cowboys!), while 17 was Nat and Kat (as well as the awesome shopping network girls, and I'm sure that was Mallory's first race too).
Peter
bunched

Postby WalterC on Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:43 pm

I thought season 15 was one of the most unwatchable seasons. The starting line elimination was just the start of things that would just annoy me big-time. Adding insult to injury, that first leg ended up being non-elimination. Why?

The teams that were unlikeable, were really unlikeable. I have a tolerance for bickering teams, but Sam & Dan constantly yelling at each other, was too much for me. Not to mention, stealing another team's cab. Plus the poker players trying to pretend to be someone else, Mika being scared to go down the water slide, and the Globetrotters always choking at mental challenges.

But the worst of all, was Erica. Talk about a horrible bitch! I almost want to say that I'm glad that they did not win a single leg, but I felt bad for Brian, who had to be stuck with that bitch. She is up there with other infamous racers like Jonathan.

And talk about the worst Fast Forward ever in race history! A race around the track where only one team member has to complete. The finale in Vegas was a snoozefest as well.

Some things that I did like...

I did like Zev & Justin, and sad that they got eliminated the way they did. Especially after finishing 1st in the Sean Penn leg. But at least they got to race again, and finish a lot better.

And hearing Keri talk, was the first time ever that I heard the Boston accent from a woman, which was music to my ears.

After a great season 14, I guess we had to be letdown with season 15.
WalterC
bunched

Postby rockhpi on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:53 pm

This is my post on TAR 15 from the whimsy and Fantasy thread:

Season 15. The Wacky Season. The pre-race elimination (whose idea...?), the Japanese game show, Zev and Justin losing their passports, globetrotters dressed as Dutch girls and Wayne Newton. I like that they injected some fun into the tasks (most of which were good this season). It seemed a bit of a "soft" race though...no stressful environments like India or exotic environments in Africa or Asia. They did get out into the country a BIT and there was SOME self-driving. Tone down the wacky JUST a smidge and go in this direction for non-city locations and self-transport and you're onto a winner.

I don't remember hating Ericka like that though. I think my biggest complaint was that Meghan and Cheyne were so dominant that it wasn't much of a question that they'd win. And they were nice people but not very exciting Racers.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Peter on Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:59 am

Yeah, I don't remember having too many problems with Erica.

But I read a story that Brian and Erica actually broke up some time after the Race. I always find those stories sad but interesting. Like Reichen and Chip spent so much of s4 telling us how they were a couple and loved each other ... and the second they got home, they split up. Brian and Erica spent so much of s15 talking about they were determined to show Erica's family that they worked as a couple ... and then years later they broke up.

It was definitely a wacky season. But a season with lots of clothes-less challenges.
Peter
bunched

Postby Peter on Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:44 am

I'm working my way through s16 right now.

(yay for Amazon releasing box sets. I'm on a strict post-holidays budget, at the moment, so I'll put off picking up s17 until March or April or so)

This was the first race for my two favourite cowboys, Jet (who always wears the black hat, ala jet-black) and Cord (who's the red-head). Watching the Cowboys in their first race, I can't stop myself from thinking, how on Earth are they not half a million dollars richer, each, after appearing so often on this show? They are so good at this game! In the first leg they're coming last when everybody arrives in Chile, but they nail the roadblock, kill the detour, and come in third! The second leg had them pulling ahead (thanks to a clever bus itinerary in Chile) and coming in first. Like, I never really realised how BRILLIANT the Cowboys are at this game.

Now I'm even madder at the Afghanimals for U-turning them and forcing them out at the last all-star season.

(and, on that second leg in Chile ... the very first clue is, travel all night by a bus, then change buses, travel for another day, then drive for a day, then take a boat across a lake surrounded by volcanoes, and then hike up a hill. AND THAT'S ALL JUST FOR THE FIRST CLUE FOR THE LEG. Talk about travel, I mean, damn)

Remembering roughly how this race pans out, it's also surprising to be reminded how Dan and Jordan are consistently the second-last team, and how the undercover detectives really weren't so great either.
Peter
bunched

Postby rockhpi on Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:17 am

I remember at one point going back and cataloging the errors that the Cowboys made and there were several (off the top of my head, I remember something about them losing a coconut but there was a whole list of other stuff - it's on here somewhere). They were good but not great. I always felt, especially in their first season, they looked good because their competition was pretty poor more than any fantastic Racing ability.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Peter on Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:51 am

rockhpi wrote:I always felt, especially in their first season, they looked good because their competition was pretty poor more than any fantastic Racing ability.

They're not the only team that applies to. Though, they do have navigation errors (in one leg in France, they drive to the wrong city. Twice). But without the benefit of hindsight, it is very easy to pick them as the favourites. Their mistakes never seem to hold them back, long, and they tend to recover quickly (and benefit from luck sometimes, but a good player makes his/her own luck, you know?).

I'm also remembering how funny Jordan was. The entire Race, he's just throwing out one-liner after one-liner (after sculling the boot of beer in Germany, he says during the final dash to the Indra music club, "We're in the red light district? And I'm drunk!" and then, in France. "Go to le Pit Stop. It didn't really say 'le'. I just made that up").

I particularly liked their moment where Dan interviews and says he never really cared much for the show or the concept, and never really had any strong feelings about doing the Race ... but it's something his brother really wanted to do, so he agreed to go with him.

Dan, that was a very good decision :).

Actually, my favourite moment with Dan and Jordan was during the bungee-jumping intersection in Germany, where Dan jumps alongside one of the lesbian couple (who is petrified the entire time), and Dan is nothing but kind and supportive (holding her close, telling her, "It's okay, we can do this, you'll be okay" and never even raising his voice beyond a whisper). That's the moment where you suddenly find it very hard to cheer against the brothers.

Also, this was the first intersection (which I still enjoy, as a Race gimmick) and I remember this was the first time I really, truly hated the "u-turn", because here it's simply a one-hit kill (to knock the delightful Joe and Heidi out of the Race in one go, because the cops were miffed by Joe's over-confidence on the bus earlier in the leg). Yeah, it's a part of the game, but that doesn't mean I like watching it happen.
Peter
bunched

Postby rockhpi on Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:15 pm

I wish they'd bring the intersection back!

In general, I'm against all of the hostile Race elements (Yield, U-Turn, etc.) because the Race is really about how well you perform, not about popularity (which is a consideration in Survivor).

The original U-turn was pretty much an insta-kill (when used properly - if you're in 1st and you U-Turn the 2nd-place team just because you don't like them, that's a waste). So at least the Double U-Turn gives that team a chance if they really kick ass on the Detour options.

But in general, I don't think the attack elements are in the spirit of the Race.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Peter on Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:16 am

rockhpi wrote:But in general, I don't think the attack elements are in the spirit of the Race.

Indeed. I'm not that keen on them either. There are plenty of TV shows where you can judge people based on their personalities, but reality/competitive TV messes up the perspective of who someone else.

Which brings me to further retrospective thoughts on Race 16.

The one thing that makes this Race memorable is that this is the one where you get to the end, and everybody's mad with everybody else. You know, this is the Race where everybody's angry at each other.

Joe spent the entire stay at Elimination Station still upset over getting U-turned by the cops (and I imagine the other teams were all ready to throttle him, by the end. I quite liked Jeff, of Jeff-and-Jordan, who finally lost his cool and stood up to Joe), while the lesbians turned on the beauty pageant right there on the finish line.

Meanwhile, in the final leg, the back-and-forth between the brothers and the cowboys became downright nasty (which started when Jordan cut in front of the cowboys in the airport, and you could see the cowboys just standing there seething, particularly Jet). The three teams all ended up on the same flight, so it counted for naught (and what really won the day was Dan sweet-talking one of the air-hostesses into letting him and his brother into first class, which let them leave the plane five minutes ahead of everybody else. And that had nothing to do with the cowboys). I'm willing to give all the Racers involved the benefit of the doubt (since all of them -- Dan, Jordan, Jet and Cord -- have all been described by other Racers multiple times as really sweet, lovely, friendly guys) given how close to the end they were, but it can't have been a pleasant few days afterwards.
Peter
bunched

Postby WalterC on Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:56 pm

Peter wrote:while the lesbians turned on the beauty pageant right there on the finish line.

And that was when I lost respect for Phil for instigating the whole thing at the mat. It should have never happened in the first place, and Phil should have known better. What should have been a happy moment for Dan & Jordan, just turned nasty really quickly.
WalterC
bunched

Postby rockhpi on Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:45 am

Yeah, I said at the time, the end of the Race is not the time to show bitterness and catty behavior.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Peter on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:55 am

Just finished race 17.

Aka, the Girl Power season :).

I remember at the time somebody said that it really wasn't as big a deal as TAR were making it out to be (because nobody ever really believed for a second that an all-female team couldn't/wouldn't win, it's just the stars never quite aligned before for the teams), and while I do agree with that ... I'm still glad the season ended the way it did. Nat and Kat were deserving winners. I said at the time that they felt very much like a gender-flipped version of Rob and Brennan, two obviously-close friends who are always kind and patient and compassionate with each other (through their various Race trials, like Nat's fear of heights or Kat the vegetarian having to eat a sheep's head), who run a good Race and don't really engage in any drama ... and end up coming in first. And like our two favourite lawyers, I think the doctors' background (ie, often being in stressful situations where you have to think quick) probably helped them more than anything else.

This was also the race of Brook and Claire (aka, "I'm super energetic!" and "I hit myself in the face with a watermelon"). I liked the two of them immensely, and if not for Nat and Kat, I would've been okay with them winning. I even liked Claire, at one point, lamp-shading Brook's talents when they arrive at an ice-skating challenge in South Korea ("And I fully expected Brook to say that, oh yeah, she's been doing this since she was a kid and she won seven gold medals at it ... "). There was even a moment where Jill/Thomas U-turned Brook/Claire, and the latter complain to Phil about, "the mean boy u-turning us poor helpless little girls" and even Phil immediately laughed that off and pointed out that the girls were an incredibly powerful and capable team.

It was also our first race with Mallory. I adored Mallory. She's just like a little energiser bunny (and she just keeps going and going and going). My favourite moment was when they arrive at the castle in England, and Mallory is bouncing all over the place at seeing knights and horses ... and then they cut to Mallory staring in frozen awe at a performer and murmuring, "I wish I could juggle and balance on a ball like that!" It probably would've been testing to travel with that level of energy, but she made for great television (and she had such a great relationship with her dad).

Of course the strong female competitors were equaled by some sketchy behaviour on behalf of the blokes. Chad lost his temper a few too many times (but that I'd be willing to put down to an unfavourable edit, since Stephanie didn't seem to mind too much, and the proposal in Oman was really cool. And they won the honeymoon by coming in first that leg, which was great). I didn't so much mind Thomas of Jill/Thomas (although he did whine a lot), but Nick of Nick/Vicki? Yikes. I'm sure outside of the pressures of the Race, he's a perfectly-pleasant person, but *wow*, he left a bad impression on-camera (with more than a couple of tirades directed at his poor partner. I liked that at their elimination, even Vicki says, "I made it right the way through the Race without killing him, so that has to count for something!" Seriously Vicki, no judge would convict).

Vicki, for her part, came across as quite sweet, and gee, I hope Nick learned a few lessons from rewatching the season. But it wasn't team friction that doomed them. Nick committed the cardinal Race crime ... and gave up. In Hong Kong, he gave up and accepted a six hour penalty. It was a non-elimination, but with the penalty, they couldn't catch up to anybody in the next leg (and wound up nine hours behind the leading teams). If he hadn't given up, they may very well have left earlier, caught that flight to Seoul, and been a million dollars richer today. *shrug*

This was also a good season for the Elimination Station, where it seemed like everybody was having a blast staying in Cancun (until the volleyball players got there, and took longer than everybody else to get over their disappointment). But all's well that ends well.

I know next is unfinished business (there's a great shot from Mallory at the finish line, where she happily says, "Can we do it again?" Funny you should say that, Mal), and I'll probably skip that one. I like that they come back to Australia, but Zev and Justin don't win, and I can only handle watching them lose once, back in 15.
Peter
bunched

Postby rockhpi on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:54 am

Mallory is one of my absolute favorite Racers of all time. I am a sucker for people who love the Race (especially those who are blown away by it).

I didn't care for Claire and Brooke (Whichever was the blonde one). Maybe it was because she was used to being on camera at her job, but she never once seemed like a genuine person to me...she always seemed to be "on" and performing. "This morning, we'll be taking a look at what it's like to be on The Amazing Race...right after the weather..." Either that or her real self is extremely plastic and inauthentic. In a sense, she was kind of the anti-Mallory who seems very on-the surface with her emotions and reactions.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby WalterC on Fri May 15, 2015 12:56 pm

Season 17... what do I remember about this season?

The first time in a long time that it started somewhere other than in LA, but we would see later on, that was because they used LA as the finishing point for a change. Hard to believe that it took this long for the race to finally visit New England, an area of the US that even Family Edition did not visit. Though, I would have preferred the reverse, with NE being the finale instead of the starting line.

Also, the original season of Mallory, who was a lot more pleasant to watch, and honestly, always that way when racing with Gary. When she came back for a 3rd time, it should have been with Gary instead of Mark.

I believe this was the first time when a team got penalized for asking a taxi to show them the way to a destination, which was the case with Jill & Thomas in Oman, or Kevin & Michael in St. Petersburg.

Nick & Vicki were definitely a surprise, making a lot farther than expected. I remember them barely escaping elimination in the 1st leg, and Vicki saying that they are in the country in London. But she definitely made up for it in strength, as she was one of the stronger females in the race.

When Phil was trying to explain a roadblock in St. Petersburg, he gets knocked over as someone threw something at the pins that he was standing (can't remember if next to, or on top of the pins). I just remember laughing at that.

And finally, an all-female team winning the US edition. I thought it would have taken longer, considering how long it took for one to just make it to the final 3. Still, I was happy with the result.
WalterC
bunched

Previous

Return to All about TAR