TAR 26.12 "Monster truck heroes" 15.05.15

TAR becomes a dating show?!?

TAR 26.12 "Monster truck heroes" 15.05.15

Postby Peter on Sat May 16, 2015 4:53 am

Spoilers follow. If you haven't watched the finale yet, hit the "back" button on your browser right now.

I love how even the opening narration lampshades what a disaster Blair and Hayley have been.

For some reason, the fact that the height was thirty storeys was made worse because the teams were inside the stadium there in Dallas, so you had all those shots of the stands and field so very, very far below them. Yeah, you would've been high on adrenalin, but it would've been terrifying.

(although I did love Jelani's whoops of joy and disbelief)

Of course Tyler catches the football and nails the kick on the first go.

I loved Tyler needling Jelani as they race towards the clue at the Ranch. "I thought you were fast! This is a Race!"

Poor Mike and Rochelle. They had possibly the worst luck in the history of the show, in terms of cabs. I was pretty confident they'd be the team who got eliminated during the finale, but they seem like decent kids.

As Hayley and Blair start screaming at each other (even ignoring that Hayley sent them to the wrong location ... she's asking Blair to help with directions when she's the one who knows where they're going) ... the other teams are all, "We can't let them beat us!"

Tyler seemed more excited at the prospect at driving a monster truck than he did reaching the finale. I love him, I really do.

OTOH, I spent most of this episode just wanted to reach through the screen and give Blair a big hug.

Of course Tyler takes a selfie video even as he's running to the finish line. Of course he would. Why not?

The season always looks better in hindsight when the right team wins, and I definitely think the right team won this season. Laura and Tyler were strong, smart, competent, capable Racers who rarely bickered or clashed (at least, on-screen) all season long. What makes it really extraordinary is that, the day before the Race began, they didn't even know each other.

I hope they don't do this type of Race all the time ... but honestly? I enjoyed it for what it was. As gimmicks go, I was pleasantly surprised (I thought it would be terrible, but it made for a pretty interesting Race). And I don't think this will go down in the history of the franchise as one of the great ones ... but we definitely had a great cast, this year. Some of them may not have worked so well together, but they all made for good viewing.

The "find love" angle didn't really have much pay-off (and I think it's probably a testament to some of the teams that they stayed focussed on the Race), although it was nice that Matt and Ashley got engaged, and Jeff and Jackie seem to have hinted that they might be pursuing something in the long term (which was nice. They seemed like nice, passionate people).

And it's fascinating, academically, that the final three teams were all strangers before the Race began. I honestly would not have expected that, not at all.

Still, I'm stoked that Laura and Tyler won. Tyler was just such a goofball, and he was adorable! Whether they end up dating or not, they seemed to have a really good time, have grown a very strong friendship, and they kicked butt on five continents. I'm pretty satisfied with that ending.
Peter
bunched

Re: TAR 26.12 "Monster truck heroes" 15.05.15

Postby rockhpi on Mon May 18, 2015 7:50 am

It was an OK finale. I get that they're trying to change things up on the Race but I think it failed in two ways - in the way *I* like the Race - interesting people with an existing bond - and the way the producers like the Race - full of drama and fighting and freaking out. Apart from Hayley, it wasn't very contentious and as annoying as Hayley was, she's not in the pantheon of true Race villains. Speaking of:

-Hayley, do you see how Blair treated you when your mistake cost you the Race? Did he harp on it endlessly? Remind you that it was your fault? Point out that you had ONE job up there and you muffed it? No, he didn't and your mistake was ten times bigger than any mistake he made on the rest of the Race.

-After twenty-six seasons, they STILL aren't providing gassed-up vehicles with knowledgeable drivers for the final leg? That is appalling. The biggest flaw with the Race is taxi luck in the final leg and they don't care about addressing it at all.

It was a decent enough Race but definitely not anything special (though any Race is better than 90% of the rest of TV). Looking forward to getting back to India or somewhere similarly challenging with more interesting Racers.

Laura and Tyler scored 65% on Teams Beaten/Teams Possible to Beat, right in the middle of the pack, tied with Nat & Kat for 13th best winners. Congratulations to them, they seem like nice people and fun Racers.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Peter on Thu May 21, 2015 3:11 am

rockhpi wrote:Laura and Tyler scored 65% on Teams Beaten/Teams Possible to Beat, right in the middle of the pack, tied with Nat & Kat for 13th best winners. Congratulations to them, they seem like nice people and fun Racers.

Something I thought of the other day ...

Season 9 -- Tyler and BJ.
Season 10 -- Tyler and James.
The first Australian TAR -- Tyler and Nathan.
Season 26 -- Tyler and Laura.

It seems like an oddly-high percentage, doesn't it? I mean, has there ever been a Tyler on any Amazing Race who hasn't won the darn thing?
Peter
bunched

Postby rockhpi on Thu May 21, 2015 8:29 pm

I was more amazed that two races in a row (4 & 5) had a winner named Chip.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Return to TAR 26