Postby Kanuck on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:54 pm

Copenhagen. Bikes. Baked goods.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Re: TAR 25.4 "Thinly Sliced Anchovies" 17.10.2014

Postby Peter on Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:46 am

And great danes.

Camping out on a lovely beach in the Shetland Islands probably would've been really nifty, if not toe-curlingly cold.

While the Ford plugs continue to get more and more obnoxious, at the airport, the leading team runs into Phil again. At this point, I don't just think it's accidental, and I'm starting more and more to think that this will be part of the final memory challenge in the last leg.

I'm starting to think the cyclists are far more formidable than I'd previously assumed. 'Cause they're strong, and (lost receipt notwithstanding), they're making good decisions on the go. Taking the icing with them was a brilliant idea. And I loved them asking the baker if they could take something to eat after delivering the cake ... and the baker let them! You go, awesome Danish baker.

Props to Tim and TJ for not even needing to ask, to know the capitals of the Scandinavian countries. That impressed me.

Okay, the candy scientists killed that carpark/living-room challenge in about thirteen minutes. Damn, girls.

Robbie was even more adorable than usual trying to get those orders out in the sandwich bar. I'm liking the wrestlers a lot! I thought they would be really obnoxious, but they're kind of sweet. They're one of my favourite teams, right now.

The great danes were adorable, and fitting for a leg that ended in Denmark.

While I think the sassy air-hostesses are hysterical (and not terribly entertaining), I'm siding with the daughter there at the end. You're mad that you're getting yelled at? Firstly, nearly every person who's ever done this Race has had a day where they've snapped with irritation at their partner. There's a few who never did, but c'mon. Secondly, fine, take it out on her at the Pit Stop, but doing the "Well I'm not going to help at all!" thing sabotages both your chances at this, for no reason. You're gonna tank your own chances at a million dollars out of sheer spite? She really lost me there.

And once they knew the dentists were coming last, did they really need to keep the leg as a non-elimination? They would've used the save and made it a non-elimination anyway.
Peter
bunched

Postby sympatico73 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:32 am

Ha! I'm finally having a little vibe from the team of racers that I'm gonna be favouring unreasonably - other than the Surfers, that is (who I like by default not only because Bethany is an Against-all-odds babe and Adam is an Never-mind-imperfection stud).

It's none other than the Cyclists - maybe because they're sort of weird-ish, and doing things that they're good at and things they knew they suck at. Let's not be like the Dentists who are "so good at details" and God knows what else. I detest them and their teeth.

Anyhow, some saves and fails from both my fav teams: I like how Kym and Ali handled that Cake delivery, taking the cake deco-tool just in case, etc, although the loss of receipt is kind of clumsy. Then there's Adam and Bethany being held back by the Parklet challenge until Adam spotted the little inconsistency. Now that's attention to detail. Watching Kym doing the menu reciting stuff (because she did admit to her previous bad waitressing) and later Adam (because he's like a first-time waiter answering to nasty kitchen granny) and then passing it made me like them more.

Okay, I do note that the TT-couple is quite fast and smart and sharp, so they may prove to be a bit dangerous despite their, um, twinkiness. We'll see.

The Wrestlers continue to be amusing to me and not really in a bad way. That guy is like a Duracell-powered bunny who wants to eat and she is quite kooky. Lol, "handyman?"
sympatico73
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby Peter on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:41 pm

sympatico73 wrote:Ha! I'm finally having a little vibe from the team of racers that I'm gonna be favouring unreasonably - other than the Surfers, that is (who I like by default not only because Bethany is an Against-all-odds babe and Adam is an Never-mind-imperfection stud).

He really is, isn't he? But I'm with you on the Cyclists, I'm liking them more and more. I'm also not so keen on the dentists, but I don't think we're supposed to be (particularly given the edits, this episode, reinforcing their attitude of superiority).

The Wrestlers continue to be amusing to me and not really in a bad way. That guy is like a Duracell-powered bunny who wants to eat and she is quite kooky. Lol, "handyman?"

I'm with you on this one, too. I thought I wouldn't like them, but actually, they're one of my favourite teams. They seem to have quite a good relationship, on-camera, and it looks like they're having a good trip.

The fact that Robbie is shirtless in the opening credits? That doesn't hurt either.

;)
Peter
bunched

Postby sympatico73 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:22 am

Peter wrote:They seem to have quite a good relationship, on-camera, and it looks like they're having a good trip.

Yeah, Peter, looks like it! But I think it's still early yet though. We may yet see some wrestling ahead.

Peter wrote:The fact that Robbie is shirtless in the opening credits? That doesn't hurt either.

Lol. The lad doth show-off too much, methinks. Not sure he's as tough as he looks. Perhaps he's playing up the wrestler thingy. The same can't be said of the dentist guy - who's obviously a show-off but comes across looking like a bulky peacock, heh.

Showing off oneself looking like an Alpha is fine but if you don't have the endurance to back it up, tone it down and let the body speaks for itself. Otherwise it could be pretty embarrassing.

It's pretty early for a humbling experience on the part of the dentist, though that may be good for him. Cautiousness is a competitive person best friend.
sympatico73
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby rockhpi on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:18 am

I'm not a big fan of the wrestlers...he's funny but she switches really fast into panicky freakout mode and that's a turn off.

The bikers did well in the last leg but they're a little TOO wacky-partyish for me. You're on the Race - you're not there to hit the club. They're not awful, but with all the dancing and singing, I'd wouldn't mind if they took it down a notch.

I still really like the scientists and the surfers are growing on me. The Detroit ladies did lose me a bit with all the drama. I do think the daughter was being unreasonable all day but the mother's response to it wasn't helpful.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby AndreaInNC on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:07 am

I like the wrestlers but she can freak out and give up too easily.

Love how they flashed back 26 hours to the dentists claiming they were going to dominate .. bwuahaha

the mother/daughter team would so be me and my oldest daughter. Loved how on the race to the mat she threw her backpack and then tripped over it.
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby kelda_shelton on Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:19 pm

You mentioned Phil being the final task. I wonder if it'll be repeating tasks or places from previous seasons..

Because they had flushing meadows, episode 1 (season 1) ,

Episode 2 they had punting in Oxford (a la Ken & Gerard in Season 3)

Aberdeen in Episode 3 was also Season 3 (thats where andrew and his dad got knocked out)

and they apparently were in copenhagen in S19 (I had to google that one!)
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby rockhpi on Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:43 am

That's an excellent theory! We'll see if it holds true tonight...

Of course, after 24 seasons, they've gotta repeat and they've been to Europe a lot. But I think you might be onto something.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Return to TAR 25