TAR 25.1 "Go Big or Go Home" 8.26.2014

TAR 25.1 "Go Big or Go Home" 8.26.2014

Postby Tea-time on Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:03 pm

I won't miss this season's first eliminated team - thinking the sun rises in the west is beyond dumb. How can realtors not have a basic sense of direction?

Did I really see Phil on the beach explaining a task as racers ran by in the background? I don't think I've ever seen that happen - usually Phil and the racers are only together at the mat.

It looks like an interesting mix of teams, although the dentist looks a little scary, with the combination of too much spray-on tan and too much tooth-whitening.

Now I just need to get used to the show being on Friday night. On the plus side - no football overruns!
Tea-time
road blocked

Re: TAR 25.1 "Go Big or Go Home" 8.26.2014

Postby Peter on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:59 am

I was willing to write the aggressive dentist's confidence off, but then they killed the treasure challenge and came in first. Although their insanely white teeth is distracting.

I won't miss the realtors, either. They seemed catty and a little bit clueless. Plus, they did steal the pen out of the hand of the firefighter, so they have zero moral high ground (after being kicked out of the cab at the end). What goes around, comes around, girls.

I didn't recognise any of the past Racers at the starting line, until I hit "pause" and looked closer, and I was like, "Holy crap that's Frank!" He looks happy :).

I also like the trip to the Caribbean. The show so rarely visits the Caribbean (although the second Australian TAR visited Cuba, for a leg, which was cool) that it was nice. I also liked the little moment when the teams actually hit Phil. That's the first time that's ever happened. Phil and the cameras must've only just arrived before them.

But I liked it. The wrestlers were more entertaining the longer the episode lasted, same with the sassy air hostesses.
Peter
bunched

Postby WalterC on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:41 pm

Nice to see the show acknowledge where it all began, even showing a little clip of the very first starting line in Central Park, and the visit to the very first finish line. Don't know if I would have made it to the starting line at Times Square if I knew ahead of time that it would happen.

Seeing Frank there, I remember him being a huge jerk. Not only during the 1st season, but even found a way to be one during All-Stars. Also, a reference to Bopper throwing up.

I don't have any likes or dislikes at the moment. Though I was like "again?" when 3 teams decided to quit together. That is a huge risk, because it is not just depending on physical strength.

I won't really miss the realtors, and kind of don't blame the firefighters for pushing them out of the taxi.

That Save sounds a lot better than an Express Pass.

Peter wrote:I also like the trip to the Caribbean. The show so rarely visits the Caribbean (although the second Australian TAR visited Cuba, for a leg, which was cool) that it was nice. I also liked the little moment when the teams actually hit Phil. That's the first time that's ever happened. Phil and the cameras must've only just arrived before them.

Yeah, it was nice to see the US edition make a return visit to the Caribbean, only the 2nd time in race history. That, and the other countries of North America tend to be neglected (probably too Family Edition-ish).

Also, I don't know how Phil is able to stay ahead of the teams, as he has to travel the same route. I remember one of the videos on the CBS site, showed him getting lost and actually asking for directions to one of the task locations.
WalterC
bunched

Postby rockhpi on Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:37 pm

I don't think Frank raced in any of the All-Star seasons. But I just started a new relationship and I just finished showing her Season 1 so we were both really excited to see Frank there! She also pointed out that the steps they went up at the starting line were the same ones where Spider Man saved all those people from Electro! :)

I don't fault the firefighters - the first firefighter was already in the cab so...don't block the door. I was a little confused by what the realtors did on the sign...it just looked like they wrote their names in a non-existant slot above the firefighters - how is that legal? Wouldn't there be a penalty? You can't just right your name above another team. They looked good in their bikinis but i'm not sorry to see them go.

So far I like the scientists and the Detroit ladies (Maybe I can recruit them into the Michigan Amazing Race :P )
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby WalterC on Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:56 pm

rockhpi wrote:I don't think Frank raced in any of the All-Star seasons.

He didn't, but managed to be "there" in the 1st All-Stars, when teams had to find letters written to them by teams from their season. He wrote that letter, saying a bunch of jibberish, to the Guidos, saying how they annoyed him. Just as bad as the ones saying that they hope teams will fail.
WalterC
bunched

Postby rockhpi on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:34 am

Ah-good catch! I was trying to remember how Frank would have been involved...
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby rockhpi on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:36 am

The realtors interviewed on RealityTVworld.com that you didn't see the whole sign-up scene and that they were there first and they were stealing the pen BACK from the firefighters. I dunno - we didn't see it, I guess we can't know for sure.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby rockhpi on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:46 am

I'm curious about the Save. If you use it, does it become a non-elimination leg? Or does the team ahead of you get eliminated? I sort of preferred the Express Pass - skipping a task is good but not monumental. A get-out-of-elimination-free pass seems too powerful, but we'll see how it works out.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby cooper on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:31 pm

Yeah I'm not sure about this SAVE thingy. For one thing, giving it to the person who finishes first in the first leg. I mean, I know there are no guarantees and a good many teams who finished first in the first leg ended up being eliminated, but the general rule is that a team good enough to place first at any stage tends to stay in the top of the pack. And I can see the dentists doing just that. So there is a strong likelihood that SAVE wont need to be used at all, making it pointless. On the other hand, if the team who placed first DOES have some monumental bad luck and end up coming in last on one leg, the SAVE keeps them going without any speed bump or anything. And they are unlikely to stay in last place for long. So in a sense the SAVE is basically a guarantee of a place in the final 3. So there can be no real doubt that the Dentists will be in the final 3. Takes a way a biiiit of the suspense! Furthermore, if the Dentists are coming in last in an episode, or are tied for last, we know they arent going to be eliminated so goodbye further suspense.
What if they come in last on a pre-determined non elimination leg? Do theystill have to hand it over or are they told "You are the last team to arrive, but you do have a SAVE to use but you dont have to use it because this is a pre determined non elimination leg so you can keep racing and keep your SAVE in case you come in last again."
I dont think this has been thought out too carefully.
Bring back the Express Pass!!

In other news, I watched episode 1 twice. The first time I wasnt impressed at all as it was a very short leg with not much to do . Also, I was tired. Enjoyed it much more on the second run through. I like most of these teams and also was thrilled to see the realtors go out first. They were horrible!
cooper
bunched

Postby Peter on Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:05 am

rockhpi wrote:So far I like the scientists and the Detroit ladies (Maybe I can recruit them into the Michigan Amazing Race :P )

You know, I really liked the candy scientists as well. They seem sweet. I hope they stick around.

cooper wrote:I dont think this has been thought out too carefully.
Bring back the Express Pass!!

I'd assume that using the "Save" pass turns that leg into a non-elimination, and the last team just keeps racing next leg.

I did like the Express Pass, though. I liked that one a lot.

WalterC wrote:Also, I don't know how Phil is able to stay ahead of the teams, as he has to travel the same route.

They have to do it every season, though. I always figured that, Phil and the producers already know where they're going. So that saves them a few minutes (so they can get there and set up the challenges/do the camera-work).

Plus, there's usually delaying tactics, like "Go to this location and get your next route marker, which will tell you to go somewhere else" which buys the production team a few more minutes of time.

They've done this for 25 seasons, so they'd have to be good at it. But yeah, the Racers actually caught Phil this time, which was neat.
Peter
bunched

Postby WalterC on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:29 am

Peter wrote:They have to do it every season, though. I always figured that, Phil and the producers already know where they're going. So that saves them a few minutes (so they can get there and set up the challenges/do the camera-work).

Plus, there's usually delaying tactics, like "Go to this location and get your next route marker, which will tell you to go somewhere else" which buys the production team a few more minutes of time.

They've done this for 25 seasons, so they'd have to be good at it. But yeah, the Racers actually caught Phil this time, which was neat.

I always thought Phil would have the hardest time in the 1st leg, since he has to be at the starting line, then go to various tasks in the next location.

I think the delay tactics would definitely buy them some time to get to the task and pit stop location.
WalterC
bunched

Postby kelda_shelton on Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:08 pm

Was noone else in awe that every team had to ask whether the 1st ever finish line was? Do you think some of them realised who Frank was? Or was he introduced at some point? I noticed that hil mentioned past racers in the voiceover..
kelda_shelton
bunched

Return to TAR 25