TAR 25.12 "All or Nothing"

TAR 25.12 "All or Nothing"

Postby rockhpi on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:06 pm

So happy for Maya and Amy! They have the second-worst winning record of all time, having beaten only 40% of the teams they came across but they won in the one leg that counted!

I loved that Maya was so enthusiastic about the Race and that we finally saw smart people win. Their biggest problems in the Race seemed to come from mistakes and navigating but apart from leaving their gear on at the stunt task, they had a great leg.

I especially loved seeing Brooke in all her whiny glory. For all those who claimed that Brooke was only "playing a character" when she was being mean or petty, was all that whiny pouting in the car part of her character? No - she was snotty and childish. I had nothing against Robbie but she was a nasty piece of work through the whole Race. Brooke - remember how you laughed when the Scientists were in pain at the massage? That's what I sounded like when you were eliminated. Good riddance.

The final task was certainly tough, but what was with all those wacky greeters and the very-specifically-"Manila" envelope? Amy's brains won the day there.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Re: TAR 25.12 "All or Nothing"

Postby bray on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:00 am

YES! YES! YES! It's been a long, long time since I've been this excited about a team winning. Very happy with tonight's finale. Now, they'll be able to pay off their student loans before they've even finished their studies!

I was really surprised by the final challenge. Everything we were brainstorming about repeat challenges and Maltese falcons and guys in puffin suits all turned out to be irrelevant. But it kept us on our toes, for sure. I wonder if it was a ploy on behalf of the producers to get the uberfans talking about the show more?

Anyway, the challenge looked hard and I would have sucked majorly at it - remembering numbers is not my strong suit. Good on Amy. And good on her for soldiering on the whole race on a gimpy leg without complaining. That looked rough.

I don't know what Brooke was so bitter about. Even if the Scientists had been eliminated, it wouldn't have stopped them getting so horrendously lost that they wouldn't have caught up again. Jim did say at one point the final Roadblock had taken 4 hours, but I'm not sure if I believe that. I don't think everyone would have come back to the foreman all at the same time if it really did take that long.

But why'd they have to ruin the perfect finale with a promo for The Amazing Blind Date? I'm very concerned.
bray
yielded

Postby Peter on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:17 am

I have to say, I haven't really had much to say about this Race because, honestly, I don't think it's been terribly entertaining, but ...

rockhpi wrote:So happy for Maya and Amy! They have the second-worst winning record of all time, having beaten only 40% of the teams they came across but they won in the one leg that counted!

I loved that Maya was so enthusiastic about the Race and that we finally saw smart people win.

... the right team won!

At least the finale made the Race worth sitting through. Brains beat athletic prowess, which is a lovely thing to end on, and the scientists were just so lovely and nice about everything. I'm glad they won. I would've been okay with the Surfers winning, but it would've been so telegraphed (and laid on so thick how great and perfect they both are), that I'm glad the victory went to the scientists.

As for Jim, I hope he remembers how the "low hanging fruit" totally annihilated him at the end.

It was a great final challenge, but yeah, all those wacky greeters were just red herrings? I'm almost disappointed.

I'm not sure how I feel about the promo for the next season. Was there really much of a demand for an extreme blinds date edition of TAR?
Peter
bunched

Postby rockhpi on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:36 am

I'm going to keep an open mind about the blind dates but the teams I like best are ones with a strong, solid relationship. Didn't they say that the other teams (non blind dates) were still new relationships? Some guy from a boy band is playing and has been with his boyfriend for 6 years. That's not new to me. I think the blind date teams will be at a severe disadvantage.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Tea-time on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:30 pm

How fitting that the team that Jim was so dismissive of ended up winning! And yet again as he's confidently announcing that he knows where he's going and is far out in the lead, he's actually gone the wrong direction when leaving the airport. That was pretty much his $1,000,000 error.

I wonder if the first roadblock (the stunt filming) influenced the decision to have 4 teams start the last leg, as a way of trying to assure that there were 3 teams fairly close together. It would have been interesting to see how the show would have handled it if all 4 teams showed up together - would there have been a race to complete the task? Or would the unlucky #4 at the clue box get the bad news before the other teams had even really started?

I watched the next season promo on the CBS site, and Phil introduces them as 11 dating couples, of which 5 are meeting for the first time. How that qualifies as dating, I don't know. I had thought they might be on-line relationships, but I wouldn't call the meetings "blind dates" in that case. I guess we'll see, but I agree, rockhpi, they'll be at a disadvantage. I can only think of 2 teams who competed as virtual strangers: Mark & Mallory from TAR 24 and the birth mother/daughter team from TAR 17. Neither team got very far.
Tea-time
road blocked

Return to TAR 25