17.7 - I Want to Be in the Circus, That's Where I Belong

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

17.7 - I Want to Be in the Circus, That's Where I Belong

Postby miri on Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:03 pm

Discuss
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 17.7 - I Want to Be in the Circus, That's Where I Belong

Postby macaddict on Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:44 pm

Did I miss the speed bump?
macaddict
road blocked

Postby Tea-time on Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:53 pm

I didn't see the Speed Bump, either, or hear any mention of it when teams were reading their clues.
Tea-time
road blocked

Postby cmville05 on Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:20 pm

There was not a Speed Bump tonight, nor did Phil mention there being one at the conclusion of the previous leg. Thought that was a little unfair. Why can't they just go back to the old method of taking all their belongings and money? So much more interesting.
cmville05
the world is waiting

Postby grubsneerg on Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:00 am

I thought I missed the Speedbump, too! I wonder if it, and all mention of it, were edited out for some reason. They made Michael and Kevin do one earlier this season.

Speaking of Michael and Kevin, I hate to see a team go because of a penalty, but two penalties?!? Kevin's whole attitude this race was that he knew best; if he could have run the race by himself, he would have been happier. Karma caught up with him tonight.
grubsneerg
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby LFBNick on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:11 am

According to someone on SS, Nick posted on his Facebook that they didn't get a Speedbump because there was an error last episode where Nick and Vicki got the songs right way earlier, but the judge said no to them. So, they weren't given a speedbump...Its unconfirmed though.
LFBNick
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby njlady30 on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:12 am

I just rewatched the show - I thought I just missed the speed bump. I assumed that there was some error in the previous show when there was no speed bump. I think something should have been said though. A weird show last night!
njlady30
at the start line

Postby rockhpi on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:13 am

I also heard that it had to do with an error with the Music task. We thought maybe there was so much happening in last night's episode they left it out, the way they've been leaving out people leaving the mat.

I think the last several episodes have been really great. Of course, I screwed up last week's DVR recording so I can't burn the season to disk! I like that there were clues to figure out this time, especially the statuette of the Cathedral that lined up with the real thing. The leg design has been good so far this year.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby macaddict on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:33 am

I feel like the show has seriously lost its way. I wasn't happy with the casting to begin with, and now they're all just grating on my nerves. And I know it wasn't, but last night felt like they've been in Russia for about 10 legs now. The lack of explanation of the Speed Bump just adds to the irritation.
macaddict
road blocked

Postby WalterC on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:35 am

I had a feeling when Phil mentioned that teams are not allowed to have taxis directing them to the tower, that one of the teams would break that rule and get penalized. And one did, although not the one that I expected, which is a bit ironic.

I hated to see the way Kevin & Michael were eliminated, only for the fact that we have to see another leg of Chad & Stephanie, who I really wanted gone, along with the other dating couple.

I'm happy not to see these teams being extremely nasty to each other, which was what made the last few seasons hard to watch. That might be boring to some, but to me, it's a bit of fresh air this time around.
WalterC
bunched

Postby rockhpi on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:11 am

I agree that the Race's biggest problem in the last several seasons has been casting. Compelling, funny, clever people are thin on the ground in the Amazing Race universe since All-Stars. However, I think the reason it seems like they've been in Russia forever is that they have done a lot while they're there and that's not a bad thing to me. It's only been two legs but it seems like an epic. I'd rather do that than have them fly to Paris, run up the Eiffel Tower and then dash off to another country. They've done England, Ghana, Sweden, Norway, and Russia so far and I think they've done a good job. Off to Oman next week, so they're mixing it up.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby whereverthefk on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:37 pm

I actually REALLY enjoyed last night's episode, largely bc:

(1) I like seeing people screw up in ways that allow me feel superior/smarter than they are (What? You know you think it, too!!);
(2) I've ALWAYS wanted to go to St. Petersburg (my Russian class went one summer when I was in college, but some of us had to work during the school breaks! Bitter, party of 1!!);
(3) 2 all-female teams that I actually LIKE came in 1st and second;
(4) one of those teams actually fixed an error and still came in second, which is AWESOME; and
(5) I desperately want Mallory's dad to be my dad, too (me, near the end last night: "As long as Mallory's dad isn't eliminated I don't care what happens now!").

In less fun news, I was watching TAR live at Mr. Wtf's last night, and he was flipping back and forth to football (stupid freaking Faith Hill and her Football Night in America crap! Football is for Sunday DAY and MONDAY night, dang it!!), so I missed the demo of Phil at the Roadblock. Does anyone know of a link to it, so I can see it and get my chuckle on??

And speaking of Mr. Wtf, when Brooke was freaking out, having a blast and just generally being a big old goof at the Roadblock, he looked at me and said: "That would totally be you." Which: HEY!!! But ok, yeah, it would. :p

And I know it wasn't, but last night felt like they've been in Russia for about 10 legs now.

Russia is the new China.
whereverthefk
TARfly

Postby theschnauzers on Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:50 pm

RFF has gotten an official statement about the Speedbump and Nick and Vicki (and the other teams, apparently):

"There was a production glitch during last week’s leg that lead to numerous time delays for several of the racers, and in the interest of fairness, the producers decided at the end of last week’s leg that Nick & Vicki would not have to perform a speed bump for this week’s episode. We take fairness very seriously on the show, so that’s why they had to make that decision, once they realized there was a production glitch, we are going to start with no speed bump for [Nick & Vicki]."

(link)
theschnauzers
taking a detour

Postby kelda_shelton on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:08 pm

I WONDERED about the speedbump!

This seemed like a really busy leg.... kept them very busy and it was a packed episode! Was anyone reminded of TAR Season 1 and the Taj Mahal clue with the little figurine at the top of the tower?

I'm glad Mallory & Gary and the Shopping Channel Girls are still in it.
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby cooper on Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:37 am

Great episode but really bummed that Kevin and Michael went out that way. I hate those kind of eliminations. Even if they'd only made ONE mistake.... oh, I'd be kicking myself for the rest of my life.

It seems clear that of all the remaining teams, the two least popular are the two couples. Would I be right in saying that? That's certainly the case with me anyway. Of course, you know what this means dont you? It means they will both most likely make it to final 3 and one of them will probably win!!!!!! :)
cooper
bunched

Next

Return to Past Seasons