17.6 - Run, Babushka, Run

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

17.6 - Run, Babushka, Run

Postby miri on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:53 pm

Discuss
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 17.6 - Run, Babushka, Run

Postby Kanuck on Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:48 pm

Loved the babushka ladies.
And how sad is it that only one team realized you could check out one song at a time?!? That would have been my first plan.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby ToniW on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:07 am

Mine, too. You can tell that the killer fatigue has really set in now and they're not thinking too clearly. Loved seeing the babushkas. I always thought that it meant the way you wear a scarf. I didn't know that it was a job title until tonight.
ToniW
fast forwarding

Postby rover on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:45 am

ToniW wrote:I always thought that it meant the way you wear a scarf. I didn't know that it was a job title until tonight.

I'd always thought it was a grandmotherly old woman - turns out we were both kind of right:

ba·bush·ka

NOUN:

A woman's head scarf, folded triangularly and worn tied under the chin.

ETYMOLOGY:
Russian, grandmother, diminutive of baba, old woman

And on another note, nice to see that Nick realized that he'd treated Vicky poorly and seems to be making a genuine effort not to let it happen again. Chad on the other hand is still an ass.
rover
yielded

Postby Jeepin'G on Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:05 am

This leg was brutal. I'd like to see more detours like this, choosing between 2 very difficult tasks.
Jeepin'G
at the start line

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:37 am

Yep - the express pass thingy would have come in handy this week!
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:03 pm

And on another note, nice to see that Nick realized that he'd treated Vicky poorly and seems to be making a genuine effort not to let it happen again.

I was really impressed by that as well. And it didn't sound like "Oh crap, I just realized that I look like a douchebag on national television." It actually sounded like he genuinely regretted it. I'm glad it was NE last night. I know they're.....er, simple, but they seem like good people.
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby Tea-time on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:56 pm

I'm not usually a fan of needle-in-the-haystack tasks, but I liked that both Detour tasks required more than just dumb luck. Nick&Vicky (finally) figured out that the best way to do the music detour was to focus on one piece of music at a time, but it took them a second go-round at the task to realize that. And when I looked at my watch after the 6th team had checked in, I realized that it was going to be a nonelimination leg, because there was too much time left for just a Philimination.

Michael&Kevin running around the cathedral (and blowing a first place finish) reminded me a lot of the dynamics of Victor&Tammy in TAR14 when he took them on an unneeded hike up a mountain and kept ignoring her when she said they were going the wrong way. I wonder if the clue was deliberately vague, because usually when a particular building is listed as the pit stop, that's where Phil is, not in a nearby park.
Tea-time
road blocked

Postby Peter on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:53 am

I really liked that episode.

To go from the railway journey through northern Europe to kicking around St Petersburg for the day. Travelling by rail through Europe would just be the best thing ever, and honestly, I'd watch a series of the Racers just doing that, I mean, seriously.

Those challenges, though. Damn. The potato-and-manure thing looked messy but fun, but the Music/Film detour? *DAMN*. They both looked damn near impossible. If it was me, I probably would've picked the film over the music, but they both would've been an ordeal.

The HSN girls came in second, which was great. And Kat and Nat are still doing well. I still think Chad is pretty, but he really does grate on you. Stephenie seems like a really tough girl, though. There seems to be a really bold, powerful personality there (and there'd have to be, to balance out Chad).

Kevin flirting with the babushka was hilarious :D. She totally had a thing for him, too, and I don't blame her, either, 'cause he's not bad on the eyes. Running around the Cathedral and blowing first place though, hopefully he learns from that.

And even when knee-deep in cow dung, Mallory's still the energiser bunny on acid. It's brilliant.

I was impressed by Nick, he did show quite remarkable patience here. It's good that he's grown from that outburst in Ghana. I don't know, though. They do seem like quite lovely people, but I'm still not cheering for them to win. My faves are still the HSN girls and the Doctors.
Peter
bunched

Return to Past Seasons