17.5 - Tastes Like a Million Dollars

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

17.5 - Tastes Like a Million Dollars

Postby miri on Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:11 pm

Discuss
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 17.5 - Tastes Like a Million Dollars

Postby Babalu on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:16 am

Nat to expressionless Viking: You're very inspiring.

LOVE the MDs!

2nd favorite moment was when Vicki handed Nick's butt to him on the dirt-bike detour. She's kind of awesome.
Babalu
gal friday & chief lei person

Postby macaddict on Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:36 am

Vicki's going to have to do a lot more than beat someone on a bicycle to impress me after not knowing what "taken" means.
macaddict
road blocked

Postby rockhpi on Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:42 am

I appreciate that the doctors both had to do something that was hard for them and they sucked it up and did it anyway. But I got a very snooty vibe from Kat(?) "I haven't eaten meat in 22 years! I haven't eaten meat in 22 years!" OK, it's not like taking a drink after 22 years or doing heroin after being clean. You'll live through it. You're not going to go on a mad hot dog and pork chop binge in a cheap hotel. Eat like the little people for 20 minutes and you can go back to your perch looking down on the carnivores. By the way, how do you remain vegetarian on the Race? Isn't there a lot of airport food and grabbing what you can when you can? Granted, other countries eat vegetables more than us, but can you order a vegetarian plate on the street in Ghana?

I admired that Vicki did the ascender and THEN still beat her boyfriend on the bike, but what is so confusing about "Fast Forward Taken"? Did they not explain the rules to you? Do you speak the English language? There's affably goofy (Mallory) and there's dead-from-the-neck-up (Vicki) and the latter is not entertaining TV. How many thousands of people who understand the fast forward were turned down from the Race? Erg.

But I'm being too negative - I'm kind of liking this Race. The Asian dad gets more awesome each week. The son gets flak for saying the dad isn't the most physical guy on the planet but I think the dad talks more about it than he does. And he's comfortable with his wimpitude, and has a good sense of humor about it. I can tell that the editors like Mallory too because every time she geeks out, they make a point of showing it, even for 1 second. She's genuinely excited and she's very expressive about it.

Loved the awesome spastic eyebrow action. Phil unleashed a torrent!
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:38 am

yes the whole FF thing makes me wonder if these two were cast and did not apply. I mean if you've EVER seen this show - you know that only 1 team can do the FF. From what I saw, they thought that every team could do the FF - WTF?

And I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't think I could have done that challenge. That looked disgusting.

I'm so over the Asian son. Stop knocking your dad on national TV!
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:42 am

If we could ditch Jill & Thomas and Chad & Stephanie, I would officially be happy with any of the remaining teams winning. It's odd...I just find so many of the teams so likeable this season. Even the bubbly blondes who would normally drive me nuts like Mallory and Brooke I find are just adorable this time around. They all seem so genuinely excited and happy to be there.

I'm still loving the HSN ladies! I thought they would drive me nuts but they're tough as nails and, other than the occasional awkward kiss (the Norwegian guy didn't seem to mind), they're kind and respectful to everyone along the way. Heh "Why do you live all the way up here?"

2nd favorite moment was when Vicki handed Nick's butt to him on the dirt-bike detour. She's kind of awesome.

I think she's kind of awesome too! Clearly, they're not the brightest bulbs in the marquee but she seems like a genuinely sweet person. And she kicked all sorts of ass on that Roadblock! I just love how they don't seem to understand what's going on half the time but they still somehow bumble their way through to the next leg.
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons

Postby M. Darcy on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:12 am

But I got a very snooty vibe from Kat(?) "I haven't eaten meat in 22 years! I haven't eaten meat in 22 years!" OK, it's not like taking a drink after 22 years or doing heroin after being clean. You'll live through it.
But doesn't eating meat again after so many years of not eating it really mess up your system? Its just not used to it. You don't want to spend the entire pit stop in the bathroom. But I think she took care of that at the pit stop by throwing it all up.
Vicki's going to have to do a lot more than beat someone on a bicycle to impress me after not knowing what "taken" means.
But its a hard word! Heh, I thought it was dumber that they went for the FF as opposed to not understanding "taken". You never go for the ff unless you are at the front of the pack.
Even the bubbly blondes who would normally drive me nuts like Mallory and Brooke I find are just adorable this time around They all seem so genuinely excited and happy to be there.
I think its also because they seems to know that they are so over the top. They aren't self unaware.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby Babalu on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:22 am

Totally agree with everything you said, Rachel! Most of the teams I didn't like have already been eliminated, and I'm really fond of almost everybody left! If only Thomas and Jill could be eliminated next, I'd be very happy (because of Thomas; Jill seems okay). I don't especially like Chad/Stephanie, but I don't actively dislike them, either.

What I like about Vicki is not only that she kicks butt on the physical challenges, but she's very sweet. Instead of yelling at Nick, like he did at her in Ghana, she asked him if he needed to rest for a minute (hah, Mr. competitive dirt-biker!). Yeah, she's not bright, but she knows it and doesn't try to make excuses or cover it up.
Babalu
gal friday & chief lei person

Postby Tea-time on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:56 am

I laughed when Nick, after bragging about how good he was at riding a dirt bike, couldn't keep up with Vicky - after she had done a physical roadblock! But that still wasn't as funny as them saying they should go for the Fast Forward because everyone else would have - although part of me was annoyed that a place in the Race was given to a team that had apparently never seen the show before.

I noticed that Phil didn't mention that there would be only one FF this season - I wonder if there will be more.

I wonder how long the pit stops are this season - at the beginning of each leg, Phil announces when the first team will leave, but so far he hasn't said when they arrived, which in prior seasons meant that the pit stop wasn't 12 hours.

And Brooke and Claire seem to be this season's accident prone team - that was a nasty hit Brooke gave herself with the car door.
Tea-time
road blocked

Postby sympatico73 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:12 pm

I appreciate that the doctors both had to do something that was hard for them and they sucked it up and did it anyway

I'm glad for that fact as well. I'd like to think that they're stronger than they look (so far), but maybe they're just very determined - because I still worry for them sometimes. Then again, maybe we fear for the ones we like. They may not be as physically strong as the Volleyball girls but they're capable in the practical, get-the-job-done way and when Nat mentioned the "mind over matter" thing, I suppose they're mentally alert and thinking rather than letting their emotions get the best of them (though Kat did cry silently on the gondola).

Okay, in their final gasp, I was beginning to like the Volleyball girls maybe a little - for their physical strength and competitiveness - and I do think they're mentally strong too, and might have been a force to be reckoned with, given the constant awareness of the rest of the teams' strengths and weaknesses (and I bet the rest of the teams knows this). Unfortunately in this case, their last position did them in. Speaking of assessing other teams, little miss sparky Mallory seems to be assessing too, despite all that sunny, screamy goofy personality.

Both HSN chicks and Asian dad-son are definitely in it to win despite the obstacles they face in terms of physical tasks and their team's weaknesses, and they did manage their shortcomings well. The only redeeming thing about team tattoo however, is Vicki, despite the slow brain activity for the reality of FF and the meaning of "taken." In the end I think she did decide that it was what it meant. The poor girl probably had to do all the thinking for her team. I don't think Nick contributes much - he's just sick of everything. While she's not only fearless and supportive, but excels at everything and seems to be enjoying it all too!

As for the power couples - ha, each blond girlfriend is definitely NOT of the TAR6's Hayden of Aaron or Kris of John quality. As usual the girls just had to prove themselves to their partners and whine and pine and stuff. Too bad because they're not that bad. It's probably a matter of time before each couple implode or explode, so I hope they at least provide a good drama before they go.
Last edited by sympatico73 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sympatico73
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby rockhpi on Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:17 pm

But doesn't eating meat again after so many years of not eating it really mess up your system?

Understandable, but the way I took what she said (based entirely on a few seconds of footage cherry-picked by sometimes-biased tv editors) was more that not eating meat for so long was a badge of honor and that she'd be falling off the "vegetable wagon". I could never go all-vegetable - too many years of a meat-based diet - but I do respect that it's a healthy choice for some or borne out of a desire to not kill animals. However, sometimes, with some people, it can produce an in-love-with-your-own-superiority attitude which is the vibe I got. She may not actually feel that way-we all have to go by what TV shows us. In general I like the doctors.

I'm still loving the HSN ladies! I thought they would drive me nuts but they're tough as nails and, other than the occasional awkward kiss (the Norwegian guy didn't seem to mind), they're kind and respectful to everyone along the way. Heh "Why do you live all the way up here?"

I talked to my girlfriend about what it is that's off-putting about them for me, and we decided that it could be that they're used to being on TV and can come off like they're hosting the "we're on the Amazing Race" morning-tv segment as opposed to average Joes (Joans?) being themselves on the Race. At least the blonde one.

Jill & Thomas I think are OK and seem to be fairly competent Racers...I got the feeling they just stressed themselves out a bit last night. They're just not hugely compelling characters (and for many of the last several seasons, those teams have been winning!). I felt bad about her feeling inferior because of her cosmetology degree vs. his Notre Dame (?) degree. Hey, if she wants to be a hairdresser, why would she need to go to a big-league school? I respect her more for doing what she wants to do-not everyone has that figured out. I hope it doesn't come from him reminding her all the time or throwing it in her face.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby grubsneerg on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:50 pm

TAR was running late last night on the East Coast thanks to football and I switched over to PBS for the new Sherlock Holmes before finding out who was eliminated, but I had a feeling it would be the volleyball girls even though the editors were trying to make us believe that Chad and Stephanie were thisclose to elimination.

Kudos to Nat & Kat for completing that Fast Forward challenge. I couldn't have done it and I eat meat all the time.

I'm starting to forgive Mallory's squealing and shrieking because her dad is just adorable. I love that he's such a TAR fan and really appreciates where he is and what he's doing. And Mallory just seems so happy to be there with him, helping his dream come true. I think they may be my #1 team right now.

Can we keep Jill and lose Thomas? She shouldn't have to apologize for her cosmetology degree and he needs to stop lording his Notre Dame degree over her. Hundreds of thousands of people have graduated from Notre Dame. Get over it.
grubsneerg
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:34 pm

I think the key part of that sentence is "she needs to stop apologizing for her cosmetology degree". If you're with someone who makes you feel that bad about yourself, he's a jerk. If you continue to stay with him even though he's killing your self-esteem, that's your own fault. Either way, she has issues.
Rachel RSL

Postby macaddict on Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:20 pm

Rachel RSL wrote:It's odd...I just find so many of the teams so likeable this season.

Who are you and what have you done with Rachel?

I'm the exact opposite. Most seasons I just love most of the teams. This season, I can't stand any of them.
macaddict
road blocked

Postby cooper on Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:24 pm

Haven't had much time for TV lately so have been storing the last 5 weeks up for a massive Race marathon, which I just completed over the last 2 days.

I'm really enjoying this season. Like Rachel, I find most of the remaining times likeable enough. Even Jill and Thomas don't bother me that much, and this kind of team usually would.

This episode was great, some beautiful scenery on display. Loved the bridge rapelling challenge simply because some of those long shots of the teams dangling with the mountains in the background were awesome looking. The boat trip and bike ride gave us more views of what looks like a beautiful country as well.

Good on Nat and Kat for completing the Fast Forward, these are one of my top four teams this season. Along with Kevin and his dad, Mallory and her dad, and Brook and Claire (Anyone know why Claire calls Brook "Bam" , did I miss the explanation for that or was none given?) I dont think there's anything malicious in Kevin taunting his dad, it just looks like something playful they do, taking the piss out of each other etc. I do that with my friends and brother all the time. It's just a bit of fun.

I'm also enjoying Nick and Vicki for her awesome-ness and his dumb-ness. They are a couple of bumblers who somehow keep managing to survive. I gave a massive laugh at the end when they were approaching the pitstop and Nick goes "I think we're second, babe". He genuinely believed it!!! Vicki is sweet though,so I hope they stick around a bit more.

That leaves Chad and Steph and Jill and Thomas. As I said, I'm not usually a fan of the "dating" couples but neither of these are particularly objectionable, except perhaps Thomas sometimes. I wouldnt be sad to see them go though as of the 7 teams left, these are the two I would be least happiest with winning.

Good season.
cooper
bunched

Next

Return to Past Seasons