17.4 - We Should Have Brought Gloves and Butt Pads

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

17.4 - We Should Have Brought Gloves and Butt Pads

Postby miri on Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Discuss
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 17.4 - We Should Have Brought Gloves and Butt Pads

Postby macaddict on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:45 pm

Worst. Speed Bump. Ever.
macaddict
road blocked

Postby Babalu on Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:55 am

Yeah, speed bump was pretty lame, but I thought it was a really fun episode. Would love to do both the dog sled and sleddng tasks.

Hilarious that Nick asked his Ghanaian taxi driver iif he could take them to the Arctic Circle.

Not sad in the slightest to see the choirboys go. I don't think jonathan had done a single road block, and their harmonizing was annoying me.

I hope Nat/Kat or Brook/Claire win the whole thing.
Babalu
gal friday & chief lei person

Postby rockhpi on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:59 am

I thought it was a pretty good episode. There was a lot going on and they went from Ghana to the Arctic Circle-quite a switch-up!

The singers were OK guys, but I did cringe every time they broke into song - I guess that's my issue and not theirs but still... And shutup about your graduation. I graduated from High School and College without attending a single graduation ceremony and I didn't have the excuse of being on a free round-the-world trip (It was largely because I didn't get the appeal of wasting a Saturday putting on a goofy costume and receiving a fake diploma when you don't actually have to do it to graduate).

The blonde HSN woman has infected her partner with this kissing game. If they were a male team kissing all the female locals, how creepy would that seem? I know they have a lot of fans here but I can't stand that team. I'm rooting for Mallory and her dad. And that's trouble, because the other teams I either don't like (tattoos, HSN) or don't care about much one way or the other. So when Mallory & Dad get eliminated, it'll be tough to root for anyone. I like the Asian dad all right-they can be my back-up.

Did anyone else notice that one of the teams left around 2PM and the teams shown AFTER them were leaving at 1-something? I wasn't sure if it was a typo or a penalty.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:22 am

The blonde HSN woman has infected her partner with this kissing game. If they were a male team kissing all the female locals, how creepy would that seem?

I'm a fan of this team and I still find it creepy when they do it. Every time they (or anyone on TAR) asks for a kiss or goes to hug someone, I cringe. Boundaries, people, boundaries!

Worst. Speed Bump. Ever.

I would classify it as Worst. Task. Ever. In the entire history of TAR! Seriously, "sit on a chair for 10 minutes"? That's even lamer than "eat a meat pie".

I'm glad to see the Glee boys go. They seemed like genuinely nice guys but the singing was killing me! And the fact that they had an entire Philimination Song ready to perform just made me even more glad that they were gone.
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby macaddict on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:19 am

Babalu wrote:Hilarious that Nick asked his Ghanaian taxi driver iif he could take them to the Arctic Circle.

If I'd been their cabbie I'd have made them get out and walk. There's not enough room in the car for that much stupidity.

I'm so glad the singers are gone. All that singing just made me cringe. Now if we can just get rid of the shrieking daughter (Mallory?) I can start watching the show at regular volume again.
macaddict
road blocked

Postby valjean615 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:21 am

macaddict wrote:Worst. Speed Bump. Ever.

What is it with Scandinavian countries and their easy/lame speed bumps? First we had the Saunabus in Finland and now sit in an ice chair? Oy. At least the team that season had to walk a few blocks to the Saunabus.
valjean615
bunched

Postby rockhpi on Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:27 pm

I can understand that, but how long do you want your speedbump to take? Too long and it's just an automatic elimination instead of a slight penalty for being last. Too short and it doesn't seem like it's any penalty at all. I guess the challenge is to be able to take the cold for 10 minutes and if either of them would have gotten up (not sure what the criteria for failure were), it could have been more debilitating.

Even though a person could wuss out, I can see that a better speedbump would involve a solid possibility of failure. "Stack these items and if they fall you have to do it all again" or something. Skill rather than endurance.

I was more interested that even with the speedbump and the (seemingly) slower detour option, they still ended up in 4th(?) place.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Tea-time on Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:07 pm

I agree that the Speed Bump seemed almost too easy - sit on ice for 10 minutes? that's it? Of course, without knowing how long prior Speed Bumps took, it's hard to know how much quicker that was.

Props to Michael&Kevin (and Nat&Kat) for doing the research and finding a better connection. Not sure why they chose to share the information, however. And that 2-hour cushion allowed them to do the more time-consuming (and less physical) detour without having to worry about too many other teams passing them. If Connor&Jonathan had done the same thing (or even switched after the first failed sled run), they probably wouldn't have come in last.
Tea-time
road blocked

Postby njlady30 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:04 am

I read an interesting story about the Princeton boys today in the Star Ledger newspaper.

http://www.nj.com/news/times/regional/i ... xml&coll=5

I
njlady30
at the start line

Postby njlady30 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:05 am

Babalu wrote:
Hilarious that Nick asked his Ghanaian taxi driver iif he could take them to the Arctic Circle.

My husband and I laughed so hard we were crying!!!!!!!!!!!!
njlady30
at the start line

Postby Peter on Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:37 am

Aww... poor singing nerds. I liked them so much.

And the fact that Nick and Vicki are still around, yet the guys from Princeton got eliminated this leg? That makes me sad.

You knew the episode was gonna be a good one when one of the first things that happens is Nick climbing into a taxi and asking the African driver, "Can you take us to the Arctic Circle?" No Nick, just ... no.

But everyone seems to be having such a great time on the race. Or maybe it's just Mallory having a super-duper-fun time, and her enthusiasm makes it look like everybody else is having a great time too. Gosh Mallory is super fun! :D I tease because I love. And I do like Mallory, I think she's awesome.

Going to the Ice Hotel alone would've been pretty awesome, but the dog-sledding just looked *fun*. I was kinda hoping that was just a Route Marker, though. You have this beautiful train station, in the middle of this frozen Tundra (although it looked like ski resorts were nearby. In the winter, they'd probably be a lot of people around), I was so hoping for a train-themed challenge. Anyway.

Still glad that the Doctors and the HSN Girls are kicking butt. They all got on the early flight, so hopefully that advantage will carry them through until the next country-jump.

The speed bump was kinda lame, although it would've been painful -- but because of the travel choices, it didn't matter anyway. Most speed bumps aren't *that* difficult, and there's no way it would've taken Michael and Kevin two hours (which was the advantage the early flight gave them), no matter what they were doing.

I think Jill and Thomas made the right decision. They probably would've gotten the hut-challenge, but there's no way of knowing.

And gee, the sledding really threw everyone for a loop? Chad is still a jerk, but gosh Stephanie seems to put up with his crap, so meh.

Poor singing nerds.
Peter
bunched

Postby Kauna on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:27 pm

Last weeks episode was #1 in Canada!

Here are the top 10 television programs in Canada, with viewer numbers, for the week of Oct. 11-17:
1 ``Amazing Race 17'' (CTV, Sunday) _ 2,989,000
2 ``Big Bang Theory'' (CTV, Thursday) _ 2,837,000
3 ``The Mentalist'' (CTV, Thursday) _ 2,537,000
4 ``Criminal Minds'' (CTV, Wednesday) _ 2,427,000
5 ``Survivor: Nicaragua'' (Global, Wednesday) _ 2,358,000
6 ``Grey's Anatomy'' (CTV, Thursday) _ 2,353,000
7 ``Glee'' (Global, Tuesday) _ 2,247,000
8 ``C.S.I. Miami'' (CTV, Sunday) _ 2,172,000
9 ``House'' (Global, Monday) _ 2,132,000
10 ``Dancing With the Stars'' (CTV, Monday) _ 2,095,000
Kauna
yielded