17.3 - In Phil We Trust

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

17.3 - In Phil We Trust

Postby miri on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Discuss
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 17.3 - In Phil We Trust

Postby rockhpi on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:20 am

Halfway through, I was about to complain about how short the leg was and how the doctors got shafted by having a crummy taxi driver. Who knew putting a list of items into a pile would be so difficult? Plus, the glee-singers found their translation key pretty simply, but everyone else had blinders on. This leg had fairly simple tasks - too simple you'd think - yet Mallory and her dad were able to go from last to 2nd. I'm not sure what to make of it. Maybe the stress and heat of Ghana were worse than they appeared and addled the racers' brains.

Not sure about Mr. Tattoo...I guess he did apologize and admit his partner didn't deserve his verbal tirade, but that was a pretty ugly tirade. We'll see if it happens again.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby OneAnne on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:52 pm

I'm willing to write one tirade by Mr. Tattoo off to KF, and I was kind of impressed by how he didn't just stop but turned supportive and protective when he realized she was having a problem - but we shall see.

On the other hand, I'm not quite sure what to make of the Son/Father team where the Son was supportive during his Dad's struggles but then made the comment afterward that they shouldn't have been last in that leg - was he blaming his Dad or saying overall "we" should have done better, as in figured out the language thing so they didn't have to do the physical task?

I love that they spent time after the leg to work on the school - had it been me I would have so wanted to do the same.
OneAnne
bunched

Postby macaddict on Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:45 pm

These teams can't even follow simple directions. I hope there are professional carpenters on hand to fix all their mistakes.
macaddict
road blocked

Postby AndreaInNC on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:51 am

wow a nonelim leg only 3 legs in? So glad the dad completed the task and didn't quit! I am so pulling for him just so that he can tell his son what an ass he is being toward him! I mean if you didn't think your dad could do it - why not get a different partner!!??!!
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby sympatico73 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:12 pm

Team Glee made me smile for the second time now with their signature cab-motivating singing - of which I'm glad. The best "nerds" that I've ever seen in TAR so far (I could have sworn there were some before - minus the flair or peculiarity), and i hope they can turn in a memorable performance in their race.

I didn't think the translation key was that hard to find - it's just that the other racers were so caught up in the desperation to race up that they didn't bother to be careful and actually look for it - the classic case of watching what others nearby were doing and what's around them simply because the teams were in plain sight too. Oy.

Team Tattoo made me sigh in exasperation in the previous episodes because of their cluelessness but I was willing to hope for some semblance of TAR6's Adam & Rebecca. Except that Mr. Tattoo went so far as being simply astounding in his blockheadedness and ignorance of his own idiocy and Mrs. Tattoo seemed so pitiful and saying sorry too much for something she didn't deserve that I'm beginning to lose hope. Strangely, the only thing that I look forward to in this team now is the slim possibility of her turning into Lori of Bolo and telling him to shove it.

While I'm glad the Doctors made it, kudos to dad & son for pulling through and not being eliminated yet. Not so impressed with the volleyball girls despite being as competitive as the Beauty Queens of seasons past. Ugly Queens more like it, from their (first and I'm sure won't be the last) putting down of the Home Shopper Girls (something about being too blonde, I think) and the cool Doctors. And please don't blame the heat or the country for losing it when the Doctors can still remember to say thank you to people.
sympatico73
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby Rachel RSL on Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:54 pm

I'm not fond of the volleyball girls either. I'm all about Girl Power and rooting for the female teams but I just don't like those two. They haven't done anything horrible that I can point out, they just sort of have an air of bitchiness that makes it hard to root for them.

I like Tattoo couple. (I seriously need to learn these peoples' names already.) He was definitely being a total dick when he was bitching at her but I do think he redeemed himself when he he immediately turned supportive and remorseful once her asthma kicked in. Now, if he turns into a douchebag every time she makes a mistake, I reserve the right to change my mind.

I can see how the singing would be charming and amusing to random cab drivers but when you have to listen to it on tv every week, it's really freaking annoying! I'm waiting for the day they run into a cab driver who, like me, LOATHES musicals and tells them to shut the hell up. They seem like nice guys and all but I don't watch Glee for a reason.
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons

Postby whereverthefk on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:24 am

I agree about the Volleyball girls, Rachel -- they haven't done anything horrible, but they have made a bunch of little snotty comments that all add up to "No, thank you" for me. I'll stick with the Doctors and (to my utter shock, considering all the shrieking from the blond one -- I think they just had me at the watermelon-to-the-face incident) the HSN chicks. I'm also totally down with Mallory (again, despite the shrieking -- what's with me these days??) and her dad. She seems to appreciate the experience and her dad and to be the harmless version of dumb, and I think he may be the stealth super-capable racer of the season.

I am definitely NOT down with Nick & Vicki, though -- or, to be more precise, just Nick. For me, the fact that it took a freaking physical crisis to get him to stop completely belittling and verbally abusing her makes him a total jackass who needs to get off my tv, and soon. He's like a less oily, biker version of Jonathan to me. YUCK.

Shut up, Team Glee. Samson may have appreciated it (because -- as you mentioned, Rachel, he only had to hear it once), but personally, I have had ENOUGH.

Loved the stick/hoop task. Very local, pretty challenging. Perfect.
whereverthefk
TARfly

Postby Rachel RSL on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:40 am

The HSN chicks are my favourites this season! Which is a big shock because they were the team I thought I would dislike the most before the season started. I'm very pleasantly surprised!
Rachel RSL

Postby rockhpi on Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:41 pm

I'm very turned off by the blonde HSN lady's proclivity for kissing the guys and calling everyone "baby", "honey", etc...it's very plastic and icky to me. I have no problem with her partner.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Tea-time on Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:46 pm

If both of the HSN chicks (good nickname!) were talkative, it would send me to the mute button, but they work as a team because Claire is much calmer than Brook (the blonde one - and as both words begin with B it helps me remember which one she is).

I still like the singers - they really don't do that much of it, and they appear to have a good attitude overall, even admitting to being embarrassed that they couldn't readily find Ghana on a map. But then I like Glee, too.

While Nick gained a few points back by being considerate once Vicky's asthma started acting up, his earlier behaviour likely stressed her enough to help trigger the attack. Especially considering they weren't the only ones to goof up the wheelbarrow task.

I like the fact that the racers will do some work for the locals - but I also hope that it's nothing too complicated and that they're well supervised. I'd had to think of the mess they could make!
Tea-time
road blocked

Postby Peter on Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:21 am

The challenges caught me unawares for this episode as well. Fifteen minutes in, and I was thinking this would be an easy leg (the boxing challenge was interesting, but punching a punching bag for a minute and skipping rope? Not insurmountable tasks). Then the guys all started showing off while skipping rope (and messing up), the doctors got a dud taxi, and the teams reached the school, and this was one *mess* of an episode :D.

I still love the HSN girls. The blonde is a little *too* enthusiastic, sometimes, but her partner balances her out nicely. Plus, they do seem to be having *such* a good time. And yeah, I thought I wouldn't like them, but no, they're really wonderful.

Glad the Singing Nerds came in first (man, the luck of the taxi cuts both ways, doesn't it?). Yeah, the singing is a little annoying, but the geeks themselves are adorable ("No, we couldn't find Ghana on the map, but we really did go to Princeton, we promise!" Heheh). Plus, they're kinda cute, but I have a thing for geeky guys. No, for me, the Singing Nerds are the team who end up being better at this than you thought at the start of the show.

I still like the Doctors, but they're getting a run of bad luck. They're making me nervous, put it that way. The preview for next week seems to indicate a country-jump, so airport-bunching should wipe out their bad luck for the last couple of legs. I want them to do well.

The Volleyball girls haven't actively turned me off, but I agree, there is a vibe to them that makes them hard to cheer for. We haven't really gotten any personality from them yet (other than they're majorly competitive). I like strong female teams as much as the next guy, but I'm okay with not cheering for them, since we also have the Doctors and the HSN girls.

I still don't like Chad, but I can't be the only person thinking that he's a ridiculously good-looking guy (tendency to scream, "This is stupid!" at the slightest obstacle aside). At the skipping challenge, the camera lingered for a *LONG* time on his pecs, bouncing up and down in that tight blue t-shirt. Oh my gosh, I almost started salivating.

Stephenie seems kinda cool, though. I like her.

I can't believe so many of the teams got messed up by the challenges. To be fair, there *are* a lot of countries in Africa, and Ghana isn't the most famous, so I could forgive fatigue-stressed Racers for not knowing that one. But when the clue *specifically* says, "Take two wheelbarrows", and one of the volleyball players is like, "No, we only have to take one", I was like, face-palm.

And the Language Arts task probably would not have been *that* hard, had anyone just looked at the wall. It was *right* there. We'll just put it down to the African heat. I mean, the Singing Nerds blitzed that challenge.

The non-elimination shocked the heck out of me, but I'm glad the Asian dad gets another chance.

As for the Tattoed Couple -- they were adorably dense in the first leg, and while it was reassuring to see the husband back off and support his wife when she had an asthma attack (and then admit afterwards he'd been too harsh), he was *way* too vicious there, for a long period of time. I really hope he was sincere, and it won't happen again, but yeah, it's not a good precedent. They were funny the first leg, but now I'm not looking forward to seeing them again.

Hmm. Can Vicki and Stephenie ditch their men and go on together? I'd watch that.
Peter
bunched

Return to Past Seasons