17.2 - A Kiss Saves the Day

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

17.2 - A Kiss Saves the Day

Postby miri on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:03 pm

Discuss
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 17.2 - A Kiss Saves the Day

Postby rockhpi on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:17 am

I really loved Gary and Mallory in this episode. I was really afraid that yet another of my favorite teams would be gone. She's so enthusiastic and excited. The birth mom and daughter were nice people, but I'm kind of glad the show won't be beating us over the head with their heartwarming story for the next 10 episodes. I'm starting to really warm up to the father and son and how much the dad wants to perform well for him. I still don't enjoy Claire and Brook. The blonde's manner strikes me as fitting or a morning show host-sort of superficial and fake.

My only complaint about the season opener was that it was sort of a tame location but they really turned that around by sending them to Ghana! I normally don't like selling tasks, but the locals really helped make this one good. The detour was interesting too. I couldn't believe the Glee Club guys switched when they were 90% done. Maybe we didn't see just how long they were trying.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby joe m on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:56 am

Those were some fantastic cab drivers.
joe m
taking a detour

Postby evening on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:45 pm

Brook and her voice drive me crazy. I like Clair.

Lame episode title. The kiss scene was really annoying and they would have found their way to the airport without her annoying, embarrassing-for-all-Americans display
evening
road blocked

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:59 pm

Yep - better episode titles came out during the harrowing taxi rides!

We're not complaining as long as we're not dying

I want my mom

I'm just so proud I haven't soiled myself

My favorite is the last one!

And I feel bad for the adopted girl and her birth mom - I think they'll have a much better time getting to know each other at Sequesterville.
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby OneAnne on Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:53 pm

AndreaInNC wrote:
And I feel bad for the adopted girl and her birth mom - I think they'll have a much better time getting to know each other at Sequesterville.

I had exactly the same thought... and how did the Mom know the daughter was a better sales person if they'd really had so little pre-race contact?

I couldn't believe the singing guys switched tasks either, but the caskets seemed to go much faster and they are still in, so it worked out OK for them.

I guess the tatooed team didn't do anything very stupid this time because they barely got any screen time - next week looks dicey for them tho.
OneAnne
bunched

Postby grubsneerg on Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:36 pm

AndreaInNC wrote:And I feel bad for the adopted girl and her birth mom - I think they'll have a much better time getting to know each other at Sequesterville.

Me, three. I was actually tearing up at the end at the thought that this was the only time in their lives they'll have together.

Africa episodes always make me nervous because I expect ugly American behavior to rear its head. This one was pretty good, though. The teams seemed to appreciate where they were, the people they were meeting, and the culture immersion.

I didn't care for the son's comment that he didn't really want to run the race with his father. What the heck are you doing there, then? His father kicked butt on this leg.
grubsneerg
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:43 pm

grubsneerg wrote:I didn't care for the son's comment that he didn't really want to run the race with his father. What the heck are you doing there, then? His father kicked butt on this leg.

me either. I took a quick dislike for him (the son) because he obviously is embarrassed by his father. He must have applied for the race to bump up his You Tube viewship. And you know the dad was thinking to himself that the kid didn't think he could do it - but he did!
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby miri on Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:44 pm

They need to stop sending the Race to poor countries and then making the locals buy things. Seriously.
miri

Postby PhilG on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:41 am

Women teams finished 1st and 2nd--has that ever happened before?
PhilG
road blocked

Postby rockhpi on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:52 am

They need to stop sending the Race to poor countries and then making the locals buy things.

If the voiceover was factually correct, it sounds like sunglasses are big sellers there so I'm guessing that people would be buying the glasses from street vendors anyway. Sure, there may be more incentive to do it when cameras are around, but no one has to buy. I'm glad they're not doing the begging when there's a non-elimination penalty because I agree that was distasteful, but if the Race is telling me the truth then people frequently buy sunglasses on the street anyway.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby macaddict on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:57 am

I don't know if it's me or the show, but I'm just not feeling it this season. The put up an antenna vs. cart something heavy through town challenge was a good time for me to fold laundry. You know, do something less boring than was happening on my TV.
macaddict
road blocked

Postby PhilG on Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:07 am

My problem so far this season is I find all the teams somewhat vanilla--no real villains, no one to really get behind and root for either. I am kinda hoping we'll get our first all-woman team winning it all, but beyond that I'm a disinterested spectator so far.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby rockhpi on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:05 pm

PhilG wrote:My problem so far this season is I find all the teams somewhat vanilla--no real villains, no one to really get behind and root for either. I am kinda hoping we'll get our first all-woman team winning it all, but beyond that I'm a disinterested spectator so far.

I have a few teams this season that I "like pretty well" but your statement is what I feel has been the main problem with the Race post-All-Stars. I apologize for repeating myself, but if they did an All-Stars now, with only teams from Season 12 to Season 17, who would you want to see? It's tough to fill out a whole roster. They aren't casting interesting personalities anymore. The baby-factory that was just eliminated had a hooky backstory, but didn't anyone realize she had the personality of an ATM? Cast someone who grabs you...a team you can't wait to see more of. I don't care what their life story is or how famous they are or how they're using the Race to cure their postpartum depression or whatever...put someone on that I want to see every week and who I want to win. This season, I'm really enjoying Mallory and the father and son but they're no Danny & Oswald, or Guidos, or Drew & Kevin, or Ken & Gerard, or Rob & Amber, etc. Somewhere along the way, the contestant criteria was changed radically. When you care about the racers, you won't go folding your laundry while Detour is on (I was riveted because I feared for Mallory and her dad, not because the tasks were that engaging).
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Rachel RSL on Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:36 pm

I was actually tearing up at the end at the thought that this was the only time in their lives they'll have together.

And all I did was roll my eyes. Do they have it written into their contracts that they're never allowed to see each other ever again after the Race is over? Every time they mentioned it I was like: "Hello! Telephone calls? Email? Texts? Skype? Letters? Vacations?" Frankly, I was glad to see them go. They were devoid of personality.
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Next

Return to Past Seasons