17.1 - They Don't Call It the Amazing Race For Nothin'!

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

17.1 - They Don't Call It the Amazing Race For Nothin'!

Postby miri on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:13 pm

Discuss
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 17.1 - They Don't Call It the Amazing Race For Nothin'!

Postby rockhpi on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:27 pm

Loved it! Of course, my favorite team went out first, but there were a lot of likable teams. The boats were fun and I liked the castle-storming.

Really not liking the tattooed team or the angry football player.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Kanuck on Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:06 pm

Off to an entertaining start. Good tasks/clues/locations.
I like the 90 minute premiere, it allows more time to get to know the teams, throw in the great editor/cameraguy moments (Where are the boats?? Right there *zoom*), etc.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby Jeepin'G on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:17 am

When I first saw the teams, I wasn't sure I'd like any of them, but a few grew on me, and I like about 1/2 of the teams now. Towards the end of the episode (after the watermelon incident) I was practically ROTFL for the rest of the episode. This episode has set a high bar for the season, I'm expecting a lot now.
Jeepin'G
at the start line

Postby lucinator on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:24 am

I liked it too - challenging tasks, good clues and they had to drive/navigate themselves. I hope the nerds are out next or at least stop with the singing!
lucinator
official TARfly hugger & modest goddess
official TARfly hugger & modest goddess

Postby Babalu on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:42 am

I was surpised that I lked the majority of the racers, after not having such good impressions from the CBS bios/videos.

Loved that they showed the teams being friendly with each other and adored the enthusiasm. (You can bring the shrieking down a notch, though, Brooke and Miss Kentucky.)

So far, I want the doctors to win and bio-mom/daughter to be eliminated next, but Chad/Stephanie would be okay, too.
Babalu
gal friday & chief lei person

Postby pinkgodzilla on Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:03 am

I really enjoyed the episode. It has set a high bar for the season and I am enjoying the teams for the most part (except the football player, get a grip dude).

So far it doesn't look like my ff button will get much of a workout due to the limited amount of shouty types so far.
pinkgodzilla
taking a detour

Postby rockhpi on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:41 am

Babalu wrote: (You can bring the shrieking down a notch, though, Brooke and Miss Kentucky.)

Weirdly, Brooke's voice grates on me but I find Miss Kentucky endearingly upbeat.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:12 am

I liked it too - challenging tasks, good clues and they had to drive/navigate themselves.
And an extra snarky Phil this season!

I hope the nerds are out next or at least stop with the singing!

Me too! I like them but I stopped watching Glee for a reason. Although, they did bring back good memories of Team Guido wracking themselves on the mat!
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby newman44 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:24 am

Loved the boats...thought it was very funny.
good tasks and clues.
Brooke was tough to handle...
newman44
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby macaddict on Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:00 am

I did not love it. All the stupidity, the shrieking, the tour-guide racing (go to Stonehenge. It has nothing to do with the race, but it's pretty).
That said, I loved the boat task. That really tested teamwork and communication. And I liked that everyone, with one notable exception, had a good time doing the watermelon thing. And Brooke was a good sport about it eventually. But I think we should get "I can't feel my face" shirts made for TARCon.
I'm a car nerd and it's killing me that I can't tell what brand of cars they were driving in England. (4 sale: 4-door with slightly burned transmission) Does anyone know?
macaddict
road blocked

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:57 am

when they showed the teams I saw the 2 smart dudes and said to myself - they'll be the first to go.

With the high number of all female teams, I'm hoping for a female team to win.

And the poor chic that took the watermelon to the face. The look on her face when her teammate told her she still had to finish the task was priceless!

Love the nicknames they have given each other before the end of the first episode! Tinkerbell .. rotfl

So no one has mentioned the fast past (or whatever it's called). I can see that could save you in the event you can't complete a really hard task (oh like morse code).

So there will be 12 legs per Phil last night. Wonder if there will be any 2 hour eps? Here's hoping for 12 straight weeks of TAR!
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby Tea-time on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:05 pm

I thought it was a good start to the season, although I had hoped Stonehenge would be more than just a clue box. However, I can see the difficulty of closing such a major tourist attraction for filming. I liked the Smart cars they had to drive to Boston; I did wonder how a film crew was also going to fit in, but then I realized it was a dash-cam setup. And having them have to drive in England was amusing too, especially as the drivers kept trying to get in on the wrong side.

Considering all the rushing to get on the first flight, did any of those 3 teams finish in the top half of the group? I wonder if they lost time in customs, or if they just felt a little too comfortable with a lead and didn't focus enough on hurrying.
Tea-time
road blocked

Postby rockhpi on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:29 pm

I was amazed so many people got so lost. When I was in England, I was impressed with how GOOD the road signs were.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Tea-time on Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:51 pm

It could be as simple as not looking in the right place for the signs - that whole through the looking glass effect of everything being on the "wrong" side - combined with jet lag. And it's also possible that people got bad directions when leaving Stonehenge - I don't know how famous Eastnor Castle is. And of course the racers wouldn't have these handy directions from the castle's website.
Tea-time
road blocked

Next

Return to Past Seasons