15.8 - We're Not Meant for the Swamp

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

15.8 - We're Not Meant for the Swamp

Postby miri on Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:55 pm

Discuss
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 15.8 - We're Not Meant for the Swamp

Postby macaddict on Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:38 pm

Well, that wasn't an unexpected outcome. Also, all my friends are getting candle-a-bras for Christmas.
And wth was going on with Sam and Dan at the volleyball? I don't think I've ever seen that much blurring.
macaddict
road blocked

Postby M. Darcy on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:24 am

And wth was going on with Sam and Dan at the volleyball? I don't think I've ever seen that much blurring.
I know! It was like watching an episode of Survivor.

Aw, not a surprising ending but a bit emotional.

Heh, Sweden is famous for dymnamite, the Nobels...and ABBA.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:02 am

I KNOW!!! I was like: "Please let there be an ABBA Road Block!"

I walked into the other room for a second so I may be mistaken, but did one of those Stonecutter dudes basically tell Matt what a candelabra was? I swore I heard a deep voice say something like: "Cabdelabra sounds like candle!". If that was one of the guys helping Matt out, then I'm totally ok with them being eliminated because, dude, play the part and shut up! No helping the Racers!
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons

Postby Chappie on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:26 am

Matt said that - I didn't hear any of the Stonecutter's tell him. They were all too busy laughing at him. Right afterwards, he looked at the candles on the table and saw the numbers hooked on to them.

I'm sad to see them go. Their laid-back style and quiet support of each other was a nice contrast to the frenetic chaos of some of the other teams.
Chappie
at the start line

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:37 am

Ok, in that case, carry on drunken Stonecutter dudes.

Still glad they were eliminated. I had nothing against them but they're probably the team that interested me the least out of all the teams left.
Rachel RSL

Postby PhilG on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:46 am

They were the team I was rooting for--I have a thing about father/son teams, having been a single dad for most of my son's 25 years.

But based on performance, they really were the team that deserved to go home at this point.

Meghan and Shayne went way up in my opinion of them for the way she handled the mud volleyball...I can just imagine what Mika would have been like.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:15 am

I liked her more this episode just for her reaction when the clue said they could do the next task in their underwear. She had the perfect "WTF?" expression on her face.
Rachel RSL

Postby sympatico73 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:44 am

After watching the almost-juvenile team rivalry between the brothers and the Globetrotters, I'm definitely rooting for Brian and Ericka to win. Or maybe Meghan and Cheyne (although that would be an unsurprising and almost-interesting outcome).

For some reason, I'm not impressed with both all-male team's performance despite them getting second and third place and hope they'll implode. The Globetrotters shouldn't let the Brothers get to them and should just be cool like they used to be.

Is it me, or each lady of the couples team becoming a driving force of their team?
sympatico73
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby whereverthefk on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:37 pm

Yeah, what WAS that?? At first, I thought maybe the presence of all the "Estonian hotties" had *a-hem* affected the boys in a way that might not be appropriate for the 8:00 hour, but I don't think that was it (and I assume the mud and the stress of the task would have taken care of that anyway), even if it were the case). So whither the blurring, Amazing Editors??

In that same vein (heh), did anyone find it unreasonably uncomfortable-making how, well, kinda sexual and stuff it sounded when Phil repherred to "elbow play" at the mat??? No? Just me?? Ok, then. Never mind....
whereverthefk
TARfly

Postby rockhpi on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:45 pm

I liked Gary & Matt. I thought they performed pretty well except for the last two legs. And even last night I think had it not been for the clue box confusion at the tower they would have been in the thick of things. Speaking of, the Speedbump was "Sit in a Saunabuss for five minutes"? I don't know how hard it was to find but that seemed paper-thin. At least have a task to do, so if you do well, you don't lose much time and if you do poorly, you could be there a while.

I think most people read that secret message without turning it brown, they just held it at the right angle to the light. In my Cryptic Crawls, I've had to do a lot of experiments with secret writing and it's very difficult to find a method that is truly invisible before you do the magic trick (like holding it to the candle). For that kind of message, it's best to wet the paper first so it gets a little wrinkly to start with, then it's harder to read.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:58 pm

Speaking of, the Speedbump was "Sit in a Saunabuss for five minutes"? I don't know how hard it was to find but that seemed paper-thin. At least have a task to do, so if you do well, you don't lose much time and if you do poorly, you could be there a while.

Seriously! That may just top Chris & Alex's "eat a meat pie to win the Fast Forward" as the lamest TAR task ever!
Rachel RSL

Postby cooper on Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:21 pm

Sad to see Matt and Gary go but it had to happen I guess. It was really because Gary didnt actually solve the invisible puzzle correctly - he only revealed three words, up as far as "Tower" - he didn't get the "Garden" bit...I think thats what caused their confusion. If he'd got the word garden they would have known the cluebox was on the grounds not inside the tower. So - by their own fault they lost that time and hence screwed any chance of a comeback. This sucks of course but I am happier with this outcome as it means their elimination is a direct result of their performance and not just a bad taxi driver/bad luck etc.

I'm glad the Globetrotters and the Brothers are still in it- nothing like a bit of interteam rivalry to kick things off. This could be as could as BJand Tyler vs. Eric and Jeremy..... possibly! Although there were some great moments during the course of that feud! I'm just afraid the Globetrotters are starting to focus more on the Brothers than the end goal and that could be disastrous - screw the Brothers, concentrate on the game boys, you're letting them psych you out and you of all people should know better.

I'm starting to feel Megan and Cheyne could go all the way with this - they are certainly competent and able enough.....only bad luck can stop them I think.... They're a nice couple of people but I think I'd prefer Brian and Ericka to get it over them. Don't know why really, they've just really grown on me. Ideally though, its still the Globetrotters for the win for me!
cooper
bunched

Postby grubsneerg on Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:13 pm

cooper wrote:This sucks of course but I am happier with this outcome as it means their elimination is a direct result of their performance and not just a bad taxi driver/bad luck etc.

I felt the same way about Gary and Matt's elimination. To lose because of bad luck when you didn't make any mistakes sucks, but to lose because you just couldn't pull it all together when you needed to sucks a little less. At least for me, the viewer. To the racers, any way you lose probably sucks!
grubsneerg

Postby sympatico73 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:51 pm

Despite their defeat, I'm satisfied that Gary and Matt have maintained their racing spirit right till the end (and left with a better relationship). I chalk it up to racer's luck in their case, since there was nothing they could have done but race till the end.

I like Gary's remark at the end whereby he mentioned something like "I'm happy not see anymore candelabras..." - haha! Kudos to teams who are not sore losers, and watching their response and their faces, the race must have been such a good experience for them. And he was right about the blonde in the saunabus, because some other part of my brain managed to say hel-lo while watching Gary and Matt doing the speedbump with the locals before he started mentioning it in his interview!

On another note, I was puzzled with the brothers' blurred body part too and the suggestion must have been that they're aroused somewhat by the Estonian hotties but somehow I'm not really entirely convinced. Maybe those brothers came out as generously endowed in tights? I mean, come on, it's a race and even Big Easy said no when Flight Time asked whether he wants to check out the Red Light District in a previous episode. I think the least one could get was turning red and coy like Gary did in the saunabus!
sympatico73

Next

Return to Past Seasons