15.7 - This Is the Worst Thing I've Ever Done in My Life

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

15.7 - This Is the Worst Thing I've Ever Done in My Life

Postby miri on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:00 pm

Start if you aren't delayed - the rest of us will catch up.
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 15.7 - This Is the Worst Thing I've Ever Done in My Life

Postby BrianBoyko on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:21 am

Well, after 15 runs, it's official.

The Amazing Race producers have officially run out of ideas.

Not only did they repeat a roadblock, but they repeated the worst Roadblock in history, the "random haystack task."

I don't mind random tasks so much when they're one half of a detour (for example, Russia, Season 9), but as roadblocks, they suck, because it reduces the race to luck, rather than merit.

More and more it looks like Seasons 12 and 14 were flukes.
BrianBoyko
yielded

Postby Bart Ender on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:04 am

I really liked this roadblock and the way that they used it. I'm not a fan of luck-based tasks on the race, except on non-elimination legs, because I don't think it would be fair to eliminate any of these teams for having Lena and Kristy bad luck, but as a very challenging task that made for good television that honored teams with Lena and Kristy determination and endurance (with the non-elim), I liked it. The list of repeated race tasks I'd like to see is very small in my book - for example, this would be on it, along with the bungee jump at Victoria Falls, and a few others. If they recreate the Argentine meatblock, however....

Dan had the awareness to realize he was being a jerk in the middle of a task in the middle of the breakdown made me want to like them even more. And even with Meghan's whining, the fact that she had enough left to try to play with Cheyne was cool.

Brian's comments about how they were trying to prove to Erika's family that they made a good team helped to put in to context comments earlier in the race about what they were trying to prove to the world about interracial couples. All politics is local.
Bart Ender
fast forwarding

Postby Loraxe on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:42 am

I agree, I liked the use of and planning for this task. I also liked all the mini tasks in the epi, even though they were mostly for product placement. I remembered that I watched this show originally to see the world. I love that they used the farm as the pit stop. Definitely more homage than recycling.

Plus, I was totally rooting against the brothers and Meghan and Cheyne, mainly because they were out in front, and their behaviour at the bales brought them right back in the running for me. If you haven't worked with hay, it's nasty, heavy and itchy. Those first two teams started off wet, ugh. Good for them, sticking it out!

The editing made it seem like Brian made Dan realize he was being an ass.

Go Garry and MAt!
Loraxe
fast forwarding

Postby sympatico73 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:58 am

A "Switchback"!

I always thought that there should be one challenge to really jumble up the teams' positions in the race but never figured AR would use one of the most frustrating but memorable roadblocks ever. Flashbacking to Lena and Kristy's sweet faces just made me wish that there was something that they could have done on that roadblock, but the only thing that you can do on a luck challenge is presevere (and wish for strong endurance).

All the teams had grown on me and I generally like everyone but I found myself rooting for Brian & Ericka and Megan & Cheyne. Both Ericka and Meghan behave impressively and their partner should be proud. I thought Meghan would turn on a bitchy button after having found the clue just to hold it against Cheyne but instead she pulled a fast one on him and laughter really is a good medicine. Dunno whether that did solve their problem whatever it was. Cheyne was acting a bit unmanly when he paused on the decision-making bit. Weird. Speaking of unmanly, watching Sam (or was it Dan?) cry made me cringe. That's just waaaay too much emo there.
sympatico73
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:06 am

I loved that they brought back a task from another season. And I loved how the teams realized that the task took one team forever!

Could you imagine your mental state starting a task that you knew going in to that it took one team over 8 hours to complete it? Talk about a total mind game.

I was so glad this was a non elimination leg. And props to Matt & Gary for completing the task and not giving up!
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby PhilG on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:13 am

(Not sure if this question belongs here; feel free to move it)

For this race have they done away with Yields/U-Turns etc? I'd be thrilled if that were the case; I always hated that aspect of the race--win or lose on your own merits say I.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby grubsneerg on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:33 am

I, too, loved revisiting the hay task. It was brutal.

I don't know what Cheyne's problem was on this leg--he seemed completely out of it. Killer fatigue, perhaps?

I liked the contrast that Meghan begged Cheyne to talk to her and encourage her throughout the hay task while Sam begged Dan to shut up and leave him alone throughout the hay task (as did I!). I thought it was funny that after all that hard work, Sam challenged Dan to a race to the mat.

I was very glad that Gary and Matt were not eliminated. I like them as a team, and they worked too hard to be eliminated because of a random luck-based roadblock.
grubsneerg

Postby sympatico73 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:51 am

Yeah, Gary and Matt seems to be one of the most solid Father-Son team ever.

Just watched the re-run again. Lots of "freakin'" and "freak out" plus "shut up"!
sympatico73

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:12 am

I like the brothers but, damn, I would have gone over and killed that guy if he didn't shut up after the first 967 times I told him to shut up. I wasn't even the one doing the task and I was screaming at him to shut up! Beyond irritating!

I don't know what Cheyne's problem was on this leg--he seemed completely out of it. Killer fatigue, perhaps?

I was actually on his side. It's not that he wasn't listening to what Meghan was saying, it's that what she was proposing was a dumb idea. Why fill one bag at a time when every other team is filling two at a time? How would it be faster for one person to shovel while the other person did nothing but sit there and hold the bag open?
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons

Postby PhilG on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:46 am

Has a team member ever flipped the bird to his/her teammate before?
PhilG
road blocked

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Let us not forget Yolanda "Did you just shoot me the bird?" and Ray.
Rachel RSL

Postby whereverthefk on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:11 pm

I wasn't even the one doing the task and I was screaming at him to shut up! Beyond irritating!

I was watching with whereverthemom and even SHE -- who hasn't seen a single episode this season and never ever yells -- was screaming at Dan to shut up!!! DANG, was that ridiculous! We both, however, LOVED Meghan's little fake-out. Very nicely done!

(We also spent the rest of the night running around my apartment yelling "It's my birthday!!!" HEE!)
whereverthefk
TARfly

Postby rockhpi on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:53 pm

I don't mind the concept of the switchback but I don't think this was a good one to pick. "The first time it took someone 10 hours and made someone die a little inside-let's do that one again!" Maybe if they had put more flags in so there was still some luck (mitigated by how fast you blow thru stacks) but to risk that catastrophe again...

See how Meghan was upset and irritable and a little whiny but kept it together and even played a joke at the end, MIKA? I liked them much more after that. But get thee to a barber, Cheyne.

I still don't like Sam & Dan but they're the only team that will disappoint me if they win. Glad Flight Time got a first on his b-day...when he first mentioned it I thought it meant doom.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby cooper on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:16 pm

Another great episode.
When I saw last weeks preview about the hay thing I was a bit wary of it...didnt really like the idea of re-using old tasks, seems a bit lazy to me. But having seen it, and the way it was handled, I'm very glad they did it. It is a great task but only when it is part of a non-elimination episode. It was very unfair when Lena and Kristy were eliminated because of it. I actually thought this was going to be an elimination leg, simply because it was the last time, and was very disappointed when Sam found the flag before Matt. But thrilled when it was non-elim. Much better idea. Okay, so Gary and Matt are about an hour behind Sam and Dan, and have the speed bump to do, but at least they are still in it and anything can happen in this race to allow them to catch up. Good race design.
I agree with everyone, I dont have any problems with any of the five remaining teams, they have all grown on me and I only noticed it this week. My top 2 are Flight Time and Big Easy and Gary and Matt but the others arent far behind and I won't have a problem with whoever the winner is.
cooper
bunched

Next

Return to Past Seasons