15.6 - This Is Not My Finest Hour

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

15.6 - This Is Not My Finest Hour

Postby miri on Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:55 pm

Discuss
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 15.6 - This Is Not My Finest Hour

Postby rockhpi on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:18 pm

Not sure what to think there...was that detour biased against Maria & Tiffany? Or was it their fault that they handled their mallets incorrectly (they never seemed to take a full swing at the bell) for so long that they wore themselves out? Otherwise, it was a good episode with some Pit Stop drama. And never once did the guys make any "Wait until my friends make fun of me for being gay" comments with the dresses. Flight Time and Big Easy really got into their dance-they just get more awesome!
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Babalu on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:41 am

rockhpi wrote:Flight Time and Big Easy really got into their dance-they just get more awesome!

You said it, brother!

I'm rooting for Brian and Ericka for the win, though. With the elimination of Mika/Canaan last week, there's no team I'm rooting against, but the brothers are my least favored.

I was really surprised that all of the teams except for B/E got the number of bells right the first team. That looked hard because I wouldn't have been sure that I hadn't counted a bell before from a different level.
Babalu
gal friday & chief lei person

Postby Jeepin'G on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:01 am

Wow, a rare triple bald snark, followed by the poker players folding.
Jeepin'G
at the start line

Postby PhilG on Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:32 am

I wonder how it would have been handled if last night's was a non-elim leg?
PhilG
road blocked

Postby Loraxe on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:20 am

Well that feels like quitters two legs in a row.

Question though. Given what we've seen in the past, in fact what the poker players have already gone through in this Race, would you not have just skipped the bell after the 72nd time and done the dancing, just in case?

Now I want to try that bell ringing thing, anyone have one?
Loraxe
fast forwarding

Postby cooper on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:43 am

That sucked for the girls.
Strange ending as well, Phil didnt even have anything "sympathetic" to say, didnt even confirm that the girls were eliminated we just saw them wandering off. Wierd editing there.
I was sure this would be a non-elim too. 7 episodes, 7 teams eliminated, thats fast going. It must be a very short season! (10 eps?)
Good question phil, what if last nights was a pre-determined non-elim. I guess the girls would have been given the mandatory penalty for not finishing the task - 4hrs? or more now? - plus been lumbered with the speed bump.....so it probably would have made next weeks episode a bit obvious! Probably best they went out this ep, to keep the suspense up next week. I:m sorry to see them go though. Although I was very annoyed that Maria didnt seem to do any of the roadblocks - am I right in saying that Tiffany did every single one?
Has to be Flight Time and Big Easy for the win for me, they are consistently entertaining and great fun to watch.
Bit surprised to see them doing the hay roadblock again next week.....yikes. This smacks of "running out of ideas so lets rip ourselves off".... once this starts it cant be long before the ox makes a reappearance.... I dont like this idea of recycling tasks and cant understand why its being done....?
cooper
bunched

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:11 am

Haven't they made teams go back and redo tasks if they were not done correctly? I was kinda surprised that they didn't make Brian & Ericka go back and redo the challenge correctly - Tony & Dallas had that happen to them - they walked instead of taking the bus in one leg - right?

I so felt for the girls. You know when you see Phil walking toward you that it is truly over.

I was so rooting for the Poker chips - they definately get my vote as the team with the most heart. And I wonder how long they would have kept trying if Phil wouldn't have shown up.
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby M. Darcy on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:54 am

I don't think that bell ringing was fair. I don't think I ever could have done it. Poor Tiffany...and whoever that other person was that watched Tiffany do most of the work. Though, both of them were really trying last night. Its too bad that they just didn't think of skipping the bell and incuring the penalty.

I really thought that Phil was going to make Brian and Ericka go back and ride the bikes. Which would have been awesome seeing Ericka's meltdown over that.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby Kanuck on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:16 am

I had found the Poker girls, especially the white one (Tiffany?) a bit obnoxious and entitled in previous episodes, so wasn't terribly sorry to see them go, though did feel a bit sorry for them. Their technique on the bell-ringing was truly dreadful, though, especially Maria's ... seriously, have they never seen someone swing an ax/hammer/anything before (well, if they're city girls, probably not). The on-screen # attempts counter was amusing.

I am pleasantly surprised at the mix of final teams - usually there are several teams that I dislike/couldn't care less about, but in this case I like (or at least don't hate) any of them, which makes the viewing experience much more pleasant.

As for next week's challenge, I don't get the sense that they're recycling because they've run out of ideas, rather that it's an homage (or cruel trick). It is nice to see that at least some of the Racers have actually watched previous seasons (in that they remember the poor sisters) as opposed to some of the plucked-from-an-LA-bar teams to whom we've been subjected in recent years.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby whereverthefk on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:33 am

I haven't liked the Poker Chippies since the first episode, so I didn't feel at all bad for their elimination. Especially since it was totally avoidable -- there's no reason they couldn't ring that stupid bell other than being, well, stupid. I didn't even take physics (the teacher scared me -- he looked like The Fly. For reals. Yuck.) and I'm smaller than either of them, but I know for sure I could have done it because it's about using your body weight and getting some momentum, not just picking up the stupid mallet and dropping it in isolation. Neither of them was particularly short (which would be a disadvantage, so I see your point, M. Darcy) -- they just had horrific technique, especially Maria. Speaking of which, here is my favorite quote from ew.com's recap of last night's epi:

The women could not pull this off. Maria was particularly bad at it. When she swung the mallet, it actually fell with less force than if she had just dropped it. She was weaker than gravity.

HEE!!!

Anyhoo, good riddance (esp to the whining about not having "a guy to lean on". Feh), and onward and upward! Shockingly, I don't actively dislike any teams now ("BRIAN!!!"'s supportiveness and general awesomeitude makes up for Ericka's harpy shrew tendencies -- how funny was it when Flight Time explained how he definitely knew BRIAN!'s name, though???), so I'm really very intrigued by the rest of the season. I think I'm rooting for Flight Time and Big Easy -- I didn't see last week's previews, so all I wanted this whole epi was for the Trotters to pick the "Farmer's Dance" Detour, which they did.... and AWESOMELY. I just love them and how much fun they have. The Blondies are growing on me, though, too (esp when Scheayne*e's hair isn't so Bart Simpson spikey), and I continue to dig the mellow vibe of Team Fatherboy. Good stuff.

I can't believe they're doing the Dreaded Hay Bales Roadblock again, though. EEK!
whereverthefk
TARfly

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:03 am

As long as the hay bales don't screw over the Globetrotters, I'm ok with it. Although, I would prefer if they didn't re-use Race challenges. I refuse to believe that they could go all the way to a country as awesome as Sweden and not find anything better to do that unroll hay bales. By the way, did Lena and Kristy ever actually find the clue? I know that if I had spent over 8 hours searching, even though I was Philiminated, I would make them show me the clue just to prove to me that there was actually one in there.

I'd also be ok with any team winning now but I'm totally rooting for the Globetrotters! "Get that camera outta my face!!! But did you see me get down? *dances*" HEE!

Haven't they made teams go back and redo tasks if they were not done correctly? I was kinda surprised that they didn't make Brian & Ericka go back and redo the challenge correctly

That bugged me too. I really wish they would be clearer on the rules. The only reason I'm not dwelling on it this time is that it was clear that even if they had gone back to do the bikes, Maria & Tiffany still wouldn't have beat them. But, in general, yeah...why didn't Phil send them back to re-do it properly? How do they determine when to give a time penalty and when to make them go back and re-do something?
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby PepeNY on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:10 am

how funny was it when Flight Time explained how he definitely knew BRIAN!'s name, though???
It was AWESOME! Love me some Flight Time!
PepeNY
gal friday & official burro spotter

Postby miri on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:47 am

I wonder if they didn't have to go redo it because their mistake actually cost them tons of time? No idea.

After knowing there was no way they could ring that bell, I thought it wasn't too bright for the girls to go back to that task and not work a bit more on the golfing.
miri

Postby evening on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:52 am

The Globetrotters dancing and Gary in Dutch-drag (or it it Matt - the father of the 2?) were the best part of this episode!

Im a little pissed that the Discover Card ad spoiled this week's destination - they ran it during last week's episode (I was in DVR-less in a hotel in Mexico so had to watch commercials!).

I was sure it was an NEL... Next week cant be - that would suck too much for this season's Lena!
evening
road blocked

Next

Return to Past Seasons