15.3 - Sean Penn Cambodia Here We Come

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

15.3 - Sean Penn Cambodia Here We Come

Postby miri on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:16 pm

Discuss if you aren't delayed - the rest of us delayed folks will catch up.
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 15.3 - Sean Penn Cambodia Here We Come

Postby rockhpi on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:43 pm

Ok, I don't mind them telling us "one team loses their passports" in the commercial, but telling us that AND the team who did it AND then they actually do lose because of it, where is the suspense? What is this, Survivor with the telegraphing the result? I'm irritated beyond belief. Especially because they were one of my fave teams.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby lucinator on Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:51 pm

I agree - the preview from last week and the commercials made it so anti-climactic. If anything, I just felt sorry for them throughout the whole episode because they were doing so well.
lucinator
official TARfly hugger & modest goddess
official TARfly hugger & modest goddess

Postby rockhpi on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:46 am

Well, it could be said that since we all expect stuff in the previews to be inconsequential that it is a legitimate surprise, but I think that's pretty weak. Like pitching a movie "it's about this guy whose wife is murdered and at first you think he did it. Then in the middle, the cops think he did it. At the end - are you ready for the twist?: He did it!" Remind me not to watch any commercials when Survivor is on if CBS is going to play it this way.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby PhilG on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:11 am

I saw those commercials and immediately assumed this was more "clever editing" and that is was in fact another team that lost the passport...I haven't been a particular fan of Z&J but that's really a shitty way to go out.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:32 am

Elimination station this week gives you the update of the passport issue. How heartbreaking for those 2 - they were one of my favorite teams!
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby sympatico73 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:40 am

The poor guys. And here I was hoping Maria and Tiff making it, but not like that. I guess Lady Luck's still on their side. Hope they buck up a bit and be more of a force to be reckon with. Because I'm looking for an underdog!

Still can't believe how people can NOT recognize Jackie O. I mean - "some local royalty" and "Queen Elizabeth"? The serious look on their gorgeous faces as they said it. Priceless LOL!!!
sympatico73
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby evening on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:40 am

Was I screaming at the TV last night! Not only have I been to Phnom Penh - but I stayed at the FCC. Very cool place (the rooms are huge, gorgeous and pretty reasonable!). The Russian Market is a shopper's paradise. Great challenge too!

I never thought Keri/Lance would ever sell those helmets. Another great Cambodian-specific challenge that would have involved a product placement opportunity... Give all the teams cameras and make them stay there until they get a family of 6 or more on a motorcycle. We had a contest - I got six, but our guide got a 7!

I have to rewatch, but am curious - were they told "fly to Phnom Penh?" It probably would have been smart to check out buses rather than wait a whole night/morning for the flight. I'm pretty sure its only a 6 hour bus ride - and there are very cheap luxurious buses.
evening
road blocked

Postby PhilG on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:00 am

found this on another site; hope the partial reprint is allowed:

When the two made their way to the US consulate in Cambodia to report it missing, they were happy to find out that it had been turned in but upset to discover that they lost it at a dark temple near the location for the monkey challenge.

"It was exactly where we would have guessed it was. It just makes it that much tougher. Now that we know where it was, we think we know what happened and it's harder to swallow," says Justin.

"We went into this temple we weren't supposed to go into because we misread the clue," he explains.

"I pull out the light and it probably came out with the light. If we hadn't gone inside that temple, we hadn't needed to search around in the dark and pull out my headlight, we'd probably be wherever everybody else is right now."

"Sick to my stomach. Now I'm pretty sure that it's my fault. Makes me beat myself up a little more than I was already."
PhilG
road blocked

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:23 am

that's pretty much a quote from them on the Elimination Station video.
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby Kauna on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:51 pm

It probably would have been smart to check out buses rather than wait a whole night/morning for the flight. I'm pretty sure its only a 6 hour bus ride - and there are very cheap luxurious buses.

I was thinking the same thing. Make them do the bus.....it's not very far at all. I was in PP in 2007, and am going back next month. Is the FCC located on the River shore, where all the flags are located? What's the cost of a room there? I'm booked at a boutique hotel for $44 US a night...very nice place with a pool. Also, I'm not sure where in PP the monkey challenge was, but was very familiar with the Russian Market, The Royal Hotel, and Wat Phnom (my friends in PP saw TAR filming at Wat Phnom on that day). You are right, that market is awesome for shopping. Most of the souvenirs I brought home from Phnom Penh were picked up there.

I was really hoping a trip into Phnom Penh would include a tribute visit to the S21 prison or the Killing Fields though. Maybe the start of the next leg.
Kauna
yielded

Postby cooper on Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:00 pm

Man. That must be the suckiest episode I have ever seen.
It was a pretty weak episode all along but the ending was the final nail in the coffin.
They really didn't have anything to show this week. Wasting the first 10 minutes of the show on airport drama that amounted to absolutely nothing? I thought we'd gotten away from that.
Too much reliance on taxis and luck tasks again. Finding a scarf. Selling helmets. They just weren't trying with these tasks were they? And there was no sense of excitement or urgency about any of it.
And that has to be one of the lamest and easiest Roadblocks ever. I mean, come on! Walk like a monkey? I cant believe 2 or 3 people even struggled with that.
I had pretty much given up on this episode with only the fact that Zev and Justin were first consoling me...and then....THAT!
Such a bummer. I'm seriously quite depressed after that episode and I'm usually pumped up and psyched after a show.

Don't worry, I know its just a blip and I've never had to make a post as negative as this before so I'm sure I'll be back to glowing and praising next week..... but still..... that was a bad one....
cooper
bunched

Postby Rachel RSL on Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:26 am

Maybe it's because we get different commercials here in Canada but I didn't see any previews that told me it was Zev & Justin who lost their passports, so when they arrived at the Pit Stop in first place, I was so relieved it wasn't them. And then.....bah!
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby sympatico73 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:37 am

The episode race preview in Malaysia didn't indicate that too. But yeah, it sucks for them. Although there was this nasty foreboding feeling I got when they were shown to be very successful in the race - and strangely not a peep about any lost passport - during the entire show.

With regard to the "Philimination mat passport rule" invoked, is it an unspoken rule and was there any similar incident or use on previous seasons? I guess it's okay to leave bags behind and run to the matt because technically you still have them - unless the bags get stolen or lost.
sympatico73

Postby grubsneerg on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:10 pm

The American previews gave the whole passport drama away. I was hoping for a "you guys lost your passports, but wait--what is that in that secret hidden pocket that you haven't checked yet? Your passports, hurray!" kind of twist. I was sadly disappointed. We didn't even get to see what Zev & Justin's fabulous first place prize was, though I suppose they won't get that either.

How long can Maria and Tiffany's luck hold? They'll probably end up winning it all. *sigh*

With regard to the "Philimination mat passport rule" invoked, is it an unspoken rule and was there any similar incident or use on previous seasons?

I know Toni and Dallas were eliminated because of their lack of passports. I can't remember if that happened on the mat. I know they realized their passports were missing halfway through the leg.
grubsneerg

Next

Return to Past Seasons