TAR 22.11 - Beacon of Hope

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

TAR 22.11 - Beacon of Hope

Postby rockhpi on Tue May 07, 2013 12:16 pm

...And we're back! You don't know the sad puppy dog face I had every time I pulled up "TARFLIES domain has expired"! Google cache! Google cache!

Congrats to the Hockey Guys. Whenever the show wasn't trying to convince me of their undying romance with the blondes, they were likable and funny. I was almost wondering if the final task would be something to do with sports, with the bowling, the bog-swimming (I am starting to get convinced the producers are making up sports) and whatever the hell that thing in New Zealand was. The globe task was OK, but you really want a final task that takes forever, like last season and this task didn't seem to be all that taxing. The real shame was that the final leg really had only two actual tasks - the ball-dropping (again, quit making stuff up!) and the globes. Everything else was mainly an experience. Even the secret agent task was just "walk around until you find the right person." SO bummed for the roller derby ladies because they seemed to really be up for seeing Obama. I didn't think he'd meet them but I thought at least he'd be live on a video screen or something lol. Amazing Race, you can think of better tasks than mall novelty stores!

Oh my god it was PAINFUL watching roller derby screw up the Titanic task. How many times can you do that before realizing something's horribly wrong?

Overall though, it was a good Race. Lots of self-driving! I'm not sure there's one task or location that jumps out at me, but the Bushmen were probably the highlight. And though no one asked, Bates & Anthony's ratio of teams beaten/teams possible to beat was 76%, a very respectable number, 4th best of all TAR winners between Tammy & Victor and BJ & Tyler. Had either of the other teams won, they would have both been around 47%, way down at the bottom of the list. Even though they had some 1st place finishes, Max & Katie were towards at the bottom for many of the legs.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Re: TAR 22.11 - Beacon of Hope

Postby Rachel RSL on Tue May 07, 2013 4:06 pm

You don't know the sad puppy dog face I had every time I pulled up "TARFLIES domain has expired"!

Me too! Big thanks to Miri for bringing us back to life!

I'm happy with the winners. Good Racers and they seem like genuinely nice guys. I did find the finale a little boring though. Not the most exciting tasks to watch. I wonder if the balls had the names of the countries written on them or if the teams just had to know exactly what shape the countries were. I consider myself to be pretty good with geography but I couldn't tell you what shape Bali is.

I thought it was hilarious that the teams actually thought they were going to meet the President. I figured it would be a look-a-like or something but I knew there was no way in Hell Barack Obama would take time out of his schedule to greet the TAR teams. It was cute though how Bates took off his hat and smoothed his hair down to meet the President. Hee!

Oh my god it was PAINFUL watching roller derby screw up the Titanic task. How many times can you do that before realizing something's horribly wrong?

Seriously! Was there a rule they couldn't switch positions or something? I couldn't understand why they didn't just both go back to the menus and figure out what they were doing wrong.
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons

Postby Tea-time on Tue May 07, 2013 10:20 pm

I had the same thought! Did they just keep trying different soups? You'd think one of them (particularly the one up top loading the trays) would have at least wondered why there was all that other food there. And notice that other teams were taking the other kinds of food. Max&Katie switched who was going down to do the serving when they realized how far they had to carry the trays - and that the dishes weren't labeled.

My only quibble with the tasks in the final leg was the random nature of finding the right person with a briefcase and finding the correctly marked globes - both basically needle-in-a-haystack tasks. I did like that they had to find the correct globes based on a circled location - and put them in the right order - and it sounded like there were some mis-marked ones as well. But once the Hockey Brothers completed the Briefcase Roadblock first, there really wasn't much doubt they would win.

And yay for the site being restored! I was just trying it one more time before I deleted the bookmark.
Tea-time
road blocked

Postby sympatico73 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:50 am

I was TARflies-deprived for a bit there when I couldn't find the website and had blamed the laptop as well as a recent installed application (which was subsequently uninstalled, lol).

Congrats to the Hockey-Guys! While I like Roller Derby Moms and Max/Katie in the final three teams and their efforts, my preference was dead-set on the guys. It seemed that the final tasks were quite sporty - but even the guys didn't expect it to be so.

The Washington D.C. home-run was really, really cool and I love the spy-secret agent theme. It's different and it's so Washington. Of course it was quite unbelievable that Obama would show himself on the show but like the racers, I was totally sold. It was one of those are-you-kidding-but-what-ifs moment which you just have to see it for yourself.

Rachel RSL wrote:It was cute though how Bates took off his hat and smoothed his hair down to meet the President. Hee!

It was amusing. I initially accepted true jock-types to have a natural boringness to them and their personality won't quite register on-screen, but I guess no one is immune to the TAR experience and it was nice to see the exhilaration in the hockey guys. However, compared to Anthony who is very reserved, Bates is the reactive type, and overall they work naturally well together (slightly better than Chippendales). Bates was right to say that there's no one else whom he'd do the race with.

I think the finale was quite straightforward and safe - and definitely no pulse-pounding, screaming, edge-of-the-seat race to the finish line - because Bates & Anthony were just flying out of each task. It was safe to say that they have a fairly comfortable lead. I was half-expecting to see if they have taxi trouble or something but I'm just glad they didn't.

The finishing speeches were nice, cordial and sincere that I instantly like all three teams. Max and Katie were not as annoying as I pictured them to be and it's cool that they did not self-destruct like some old team racers.
sympatico73
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby Peter on Wed May 08, 2013 5:08 am

rockhpi wrote:...And we're back! You don't know the sad puppy dog face I had every time I pulled up "TARFLIES domain has expired"! Google cache! Google cache!

I know, I was devastated for a couple of days there. Right when the finale aired, I couldn't talk to any of my friends about it! There was definite sad-puppy-face going on here, too. But I'm glad we're all back. :)

Anyway, I agree with what you all said. Congrats to the Hockey Brothers. I was cheering for them, for most of the Race. They seemed likeable and fun, and just generally cool guys (very funny, too). And not bad-looking, even with the false teeth, heheh.

The finale was pretty tame, I agree. I figured there was no way possible the teams would get to actually meet the president, but it would've been cool if they did. The "take a photo" task was pretty lame, though. And once Bates and Anthony left the "briefcase" challenge first, yeah, you knew that was it. They were well in the leader, and I don't think they even saw any of the other two teams until the finish line. I'm always a little uneasy about 'needle-in-a-hay-stack' challenges being in the very last episode, but I think there was probably a knack to the briefcase one, at least.

The baseball stadium challenge would've been an equaliser. That looked bloody hard.

And as much as I liked the Roller Derby Mums (and heck, I even quite liked Max and Katie towards the end. Katie was still a bit mean, but towards the end, they were kicking butt), I think the right team won. I was happy with the result.

As an aside, how cool did the fireworks look, in the final shots of the episode with all the teams together on the mat? That was awesome.

It was though, wasn't it? The worst part is, you'd be there wanting to help them -- but they're such a strong team that you also *wouldn't* want to help them. And I felt for the country-singers - they asked that guy for directions to the "Thing with a ring", and he directed them to some giant's circle of stones that looked like it was half an hour out of town. I bet that cost them a lot of time.
Peter
bunched

Postby WalterC on Wed May 08, 2013 8:12 am

I thought finale was underwhelming, compared to last season, when both of the final 2 legs in that season, were true nail-biters. When Jennifer did not complete the swimming bog task on the 1st try, I thought they were doomed, as the other teams did.

But Jennifer & Caroline had a good run, and surprising that they got very far, considering how they barely escaped elimination in the 1st leg, and nearly finished in the bottom in the early legs. Plus help from the misfortunes of other teams.

I did like how when starting the final leg, and ripping the clue at the mat, teams were not told of their final destination right away. But instead, had to go to a pub in London to find out. I don't think this has been done since the much earlier seasons.

To Washington DC, where they brought back a task from that forgettable season, which ended up making the difference, with its needle in a briefcase type challenge.

I can remember visiting Mount Vernon, and thinking one time, this would make a nice finish line for TAR. And it actually happened, with the home of GW and the Potomac in the background.

rockhpi wrote:The globe task was OK, but you really want a final task that takes forever, like last season and this task didn't seem to be all that taxing. The real shame was that the final leg really had only two actual tasks - the ball-dropping (again, quit making stuff up!) and the globes.

I thought those 2 tasks were actually good ones, just too bad that the teams were too far apart. This memory task did seem like one of the more easier ones in race history.

Congrats to Bates & Anthony for winning the race. They were the only team left that performed at a high level through most of the race, and the only good one left. The right team won, and one that few would question, unlike last season.

If any of the other 2 teams won, then I know many will think it was some kind of fluke. So the ship did right itself there. Relieved that Max & Katie did not win, but admittingly, they weren't the most annoying team of this season (looking at you, Chuck & Wynona and Joey). And Mona & Beth just have horrible luck with directions and find ways to be in the back of the pack.

I'll probably remember this season mainly for the unused Express Pass, and a few other what-ifs.
WalterC
bunched

Postby Rachel RSL on Wed May 08, 2013 4:46 pm

I know that needle/haystack tasks can be good for drama and switching up the rankings but I don't think they should EVER be used in the final leg. I know that winning TAR involves a certain amount of luck (good cabbies, no flight delays, etc.) but I don't think TPTB should intentionally be adding in luck tasks in the final leg. How much would it have sucked to know all the countries but not be able to find the damn ball in that pit? Same with finding the right briefcase...what if your guy was at the very end while another team's was near the beginning? It just seems really unfair.

And yay for the site being restored! I was just trying it one more time before I deleted the bookmark.

Nooooo! Don't delete us! If anything ever goes wonky with the site again, you can e-mail me at rachelrsl@aol.com to see what's going on.
Rachel RSL

Postby Peter on Thu May 09, 2013 3:56 am

Rachel RSL wrote:I know that needle/haystack tasks can be good for drama and switching up the rankings but I don't think they should EVER be used in the final leg. I know that winning TAR involves a certain amount of luck (good cabbies, no flight delays, etc.) but I don't think TPTB should intentionally be adding in luck tasks in the final leg.

Absolutely agreed.

The Australian-made TAR is horrendous with this. The season one finale had no less than three needle-in-a-haystack tasks. I was livid.

The season two finale was a little bit better, but they still had one needle-in-a-haystack task ,and I agree. Luck should not come into it, in the very final leg. It should be pure knowledge, strength and skill.

(the only thing saving those two finales was that, the right team still won both times, but still)
Peter
bunched

Postby rockhpi on Thu May 09, 2013 8:46 am

That's why I have thought for a long time they need to think of a way to have the final leg in some big area (National Park or something?) where no cabs are required. I get that they don't want teams driving themselves through a crowded city of innocents when a million bucks is on the line, but several teams have been sunk in the final leg just because of a crappy cab driver. So find a place where it's all on foot or put 'em on bicycles or something.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby AndreaInNC on Thu May 09, 2013 10:29 am

yipee!! the site is back!

Max and Katie switched places on that Titanic task, didn't they? She knew she couldn't finish it, so they switched. Or did I make that up?

I am so glad my local boys won! And I've met them a few times and Anthony is the sweetest guy you will ever meet. I tried to talk them into going to TARCon, but they kinda waffled, which made me think they didn't win. Instead they kept it local. They've been doing viewing parties for every episode. They are both hilariously funny though .. nice guys.

Glad everyone kept notes to get them thru the final few tasks.
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby Peter on Thu May 09, 2013 6:35 pm

AndreaInNC wrote:yipee!! the site is back!

Max and Katie switched places on that Titanic task, didn't they? She knew she couldn't finish it, so they switched. Or did I make that up?

They did, but I don't think it was one of those tasks that only one team-member had to perform. They were both doing it, and it made sense for Max to be the one running the food down to the tent and back again.

If it was against the rules of the challenge, then they would've been punished for it, you'd imagine.
Peter
bunched

Return to Past Seasons