Survivor

Yes, we watch TV. Some of us watch a lot of it. Talk about it here.

Re: Survivor

Postby AndreaInNC on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:51 am

so what do you think of the new concept?
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby rockhpi on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:45 am

I think the concept is ok...it does throw an element of strategy into the game when you have to consider who has ties to the other tribe, etc. Of course, they immediately screwed that up by voting out the one person who's not especially close to her counterpart so way to go. But I am really getting sick of returning players, especially those you don't remember or who you never cared about seeing again. Just pick new people who have a decent shot at being good players.

Speaking of game concepts, I was reading that other countries' Survivors have a "black vote" - the person voted out gets to cast a vote against someone that is counted in the next tribal council- how do you feel about that?
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby AndreaInNC on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:37 pm

I kinda like that vote concept.

Loving the new and improved Colton .. well for at least the first 24 hours anyway.
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby Tea-time on Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:46 pm

AndreaInNC wrote:so what do you think of the new concept?

It got rid of Rupert, so that's a point in its favour ;-) but I never cared for Redemption Island. I wonder how much time is spent repeating all the rules of the various twists - either that, or they've all be given crib sheets to refer to.

I do have one prediction - based on what he was shown saying after the first immunity challenge, when the "loved ones" tribe finally wins a challenge, Culpepper will gloat louder than Gervase did.
Tea-time
road blocked

Postby rockhpi on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Now I'm rooting for Caleb.

That was great...despite all the gabbing, I never seem to see anyone actually change their mind at Tribal Council so it was fun to watch. i thought it was a good calculated move because he guessed the girls would go with him and without bringing it up prior to TC, he doesn't have to worry about counter-plotting.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:31 am

me too .. has anyone ever said at TC who they were voting for?
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby rockhpi on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:52 am

I think this was a really good season of Survivor. I thought that there were people who actually played the game and attempted to make things happen. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, but at least people tried. I mean, Caleb's during-Tribal-Council-move was brilliant (though we didn't see much from him after), Hayden's Tribal Council shenanigans were great too. He and Ciera basically broke Monica. In fact, I would have been happy if Ciera, Tyler, or Laura M won. Ciera really impressed me with her constant planning and scheming. That's who they need to go after. Not returning regulars, not models, or sports stars or stars from other shows...just regular people who play the hell out of the game. Her fatal flaw was not realizing she was in 4th until too late. One TC earlier was the time to make that move.

I would have been happy seeing Laura win just because she survived SO long at Redemption Island. Not just Survived but WON so many times. Granted, her strategic game wasn't there but she spent 90% of the game out at RI so where could we see it? I could have been happy with her.

But Tyson won and it was pretty obvious 2 or 3 TCs prior that it would happen. I think he's a deserving winner - he played a good game. All the interviews I read from people voted off indicated that no one was buying Gervase's self-delusions that he was in charge of anything at all, so I knew he had no chance.

There are two downsides to the season: First, they desperately need to quit bringing back returning players. The final four had 10 seasons collectively under their belt, by my count. Tyson did a great job, don't get me wrong, but give me 3 tries at it and I'd probably do well too. It takes something away when you just see veterans pummel newbies.

The other was definitely Monica. This has to be one of the dumbest people in the history of the show. "I was NOT a puppy dog to Tyler and Gervase, and to prove it look how I voted right with them up until the end!" WHAT? That sorta DOES prove you were their puppy dog, lady. She had at least 3 chances to depose those two and go to the end with Hayden and Ciera. I still don't think she'd have won (it doesn't seem like anyone liked her) but her chances were way better with them than with Tyson & Gervase, as was shown. STUPID. Oh, but she got one vote from Vytas - "Thanks, Vytas!" He only voted for you because he wouldn't vote for Tyson and he said it out loud at final Tribal. It wasn't because he thinks you're awesome, there, Buckminster Fuller. Tyson did a good job, but he really only won because Monica was too dumb to know what was in her best interest. "This is the only time it was about ME!" Have you forgotten that you have been on this show once before all by yourself (and lost)? I wasn't quite sure what everyone meant by not feeling like they knew her personal feelings - I thought they didn't like her because her mouth ran constantly with paranoid ramblings. Maybe she has been used to putting herself in the background for so long that she doesn't come across as her own personality. But she was like a Broadway singer that declares "Now's my time to SHINE!" and then trips right into the orchestra pit. She doesn't seem like a bad person, so the times when other players broke her were kind of sad to watch, but I really am not convinced that she's all that bright. And if she listened to reason, she might not have needed pummeling.

Overall, I was entertained this season. And Cochrane works for a TV show (that doesn't look that good, but good for him).
rockhpi
taking a detour

Previous

Return to Other TV Shows